Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Oil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
That could make quite a difference! Good catch PV-8

Jim

Posted on: 2010/4/6 22:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
I poured the oil into the tube that the oil filler cap sits on top of. I took my oil reading off the dipstick closest to my generator which sits down lower and closer to the engine than the stick on the back for the transmission fluid. I added a little more oil after I saw that it had come up a bit but not another whole quart and it is measuring full. It does sound like I measured the wrong tube from the bottom of the car. However, in my defense when you're not sure what you're looking for through the undercoat spray and dirt a tube going toward a familiar location looks promising. But this question did bring on another one:
The measurement of the engine oil dipstick is at a second measurement: 20 in from collar to full, and 22 in. from collar to tip. The transmission oil dipstick is also 20 in. from collar to full and 22 in. from collar to tip. Appears to be the same stick. Based on your reaction to the measurements I take it they are supposed to be different?

Posted on: 2010/4/7 7:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. The trans dip stick is a lot longer than the engine dip stick.

i have 2wo ENGINE dip sticks i measured. Each measures 13.75" from collar stop to full mark. 16.5 inches from collar stop to bottom end of dip stick. Note that about 1/2" has been cut from my dipstick due to oil pump float interference.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 7:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Interested parties might also want to take a look at:

Service Counselor Vol. 29, No. 3 (March, 1955)

...namely, the article on the first page, which advises of a running change in the length of the filler tube and dipstick for the Twin Ultramatic.

It not only provides dimensions, but note the word ULTRAMATIC on the handle, along with the other verbage and marks. Now, I've not checked for that on the trans dipstick in any of my V8s, but if it exists, that would be a convenient way to verify what you have - whether it be on the car or on the shelf.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 10:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My Gear-Start doesn't have the word Ultramatic on the handle.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 14:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
If the trans dipstick is a lot longer than the engine one then why is it that the dipstick going to the engine oil is not only the same length but showing a solid reading at the full line. Only thoughts I've had are that the engine stick should be longer which means that the full reading would indicate too much oil (although I only added about 1/2 a quart to reach the full line so not too much over). Or that everything is as it should be and the extra oil was needed.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kevin, move discussion to V-8 section?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/4/7 17:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Could the extra 1/2 quart have gone for the oil filter? After an oil change and the reading is full, I start the car for a minute for the oil to circulate. On most of my cars, I have to add another 1/2 quart to make it full again because the filter holds it. Can't comment on a Packard though because mine does not have an oil filter.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 20:19
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Kevin, move discussion to V-8 section?

(o{I}o)

Will do.

Posted on: 2010/4/7 20:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Just for closure, I went out to offsite storage, today, and checked one of my Pats. Although some PO painted the handles on both dipsticks yellow, I can just make out ULTRAMATIC on the tranny dipstick - as shown in the SC.

The parts book shows a different P/N for the dipstick in the '54 Gear Start than the two cited in the SC article. Perhaps the idea for stamping ULTRAMATIC on the dipstick handle was something new for '55.

Meanwhile, the engine oil dipstick is not marked as such, but stamped only with the words LOW and FULL and corresponding level marks.

Though the handles look the same, as installed on the vehicle, the engine and tranny dipsticks are of completely different styles. There should be no confusing the two.

Posted on: 2010/4/10 18:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved