Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel sending unit 1940 110 business coupe
Just popping in
Just popping in

msmith
See User information
Would anyone have any information on finding a replacement float on the sending unit of a 1940 110? It has a cork one and it is disintegrating. Thank you

Posted on: 2010/4/11 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel sending unit 1940 110 business coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you visited a good local auto parts store? There are generic plastic and brass floats available which can be affixed to your unit with a bit of ingenuity.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 17:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might also find a cork fishing float at a sporting goods store and better hardware stores still carry old style cork thermos bottle stoppers that might work. Either of those would have to be given a coat of shellac but might be an option if the generic brass or plastic can't be adapted.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 18:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I did the sender on my 34 perhaps 15 years ago and redid it as original with cork, coated with shellac. I bought the raw cork cylinder from one of the industrial supply houses, perhaps MSC or McMaster or similar, it wasn't hard to find. Despite the 10% ethanol in current gasoline it has continued to function just fine, but given that ethanol is a terrific shellac solvent, if I had it to do again I'd fit a brass float, there is a good possibility that the ethanol content may increase in the near future, so why not avoid the possibility of having to switch over then?

Atwater-Kent remanufactures quite a variety of vintage senders with cork floats, you might contact them if you're really committed to using cork.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 19:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

msmith
See User information
Thanks for all the help.I do have one more problem with the gas tank. It seems someone in the past put some kind of sealer in it and it is coming out in pieces. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Posted on: 2010/4/11 19:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If it has sealer coming loose, then you are going to have to remove all the old sealer. I believe that acetone should do a good job depending on the sealer used. Then the tank should have to be recleaned, and resealed (if desired).

Posted on: 2010/4/11 20:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved