Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (179 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 253

William Grosz, todd landis, dick29, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Shopping - Need Some Advice
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Thanks for everyone's comments to my last post regarding freeway-ability for these old cars. I must say I'm hooked enough to be on the lookout for a Packard to call my own and have one locally I'd love some guidance on:

She's a 2272, 98% all there but paint's a little rough, interior is very nice, runs just fine but barely stops. That kept my first-ever Packard test drive to back roads and maybe 35-40 mph but that was enough to convince me of the reputation this make has.

So the seller is hoping for $6500, I offered $4000, and now I thought I'd get folks' opinion on these Packard tubs. I appreciated Taximan's comment on the mid-sized motor w/overdrive... that's what this car has. I must say I'm partial to the "fastback" body style and it looks like those have the smaller motor, but then again weigh less. I'd like to end up with a Packard I can do a little traveling in... no commute traffic but more than in-town cruising. I gather that any Packard will keep up with freeway traffic and I'll make sure to leave plenty of room for braking.

Perhaps I should jump on the 2272 and get my hands dirty, which I certainly don't mind doing, but with the economy as it is, maybe I could find a little more Packard for $6500. (I kinda regret letting this one get away: eBay 300421127099.) Well, I'm just trying to do some homework as I look around; thanks for any advice or info on dos or don'ts...

Michal

Posted on: 2010/5/17 6:01
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Shopping - Need Some Advice
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Do not forget the transportation cost when buying old cars outside your local area. You will find them in your area just be alert.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 8:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Michal--remember that it is a USED CAR, and all that applies to any such purchase transaction applies here. Look for things that have been "improved" from original--those could potentially be expensive to put back right. Look for integrity of body, and buy the car with the best body you can possibly afford. Being in California you should have an easier time of it than we do here in the rust belt.
As for brakes, I would personally rebuild the brakes from stem to stern on any old car I bought where they were not obviously freshly done, and even then, I would thoroughly disassemble and inspect the job and make sure everything is right. Loosing your brakes is very unsafe, and will make a good body quite wrinkled in the front. Check the engine the way you would any old engine, those Tubs had great engines in them, but don't be surprised if you find you want to rebuild it after after a couple of years of driving. The best advice I can give is to join the local Packard club and make friends with men (and ladies) who own one and take them along to vet the purchase and warn you of any pitfalls.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 9:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the two door fastback, called a club sedan, was available with all three motors, although pretty rare in the Custom Eight.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 9:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Update: Done Deal!

So I went ahead and worked a deal for this local 2272 for $5,000. It has its issues but the seller was a really nice guy and it felt right; he even delivered! So I've been going over the car and she does run great. Here's what's on my short list:

? I just broke the seat position handle moving the seat forward so I need to track one of those down. Didn't know I was such a He-Man...

? The seller couldn't find the air filter so I bought one of the biggie assemblies off CL. I want one of those Packards that's so quiet you don't know it's running. I just need the bracket that supports the oil bath end. (327 if that makes a difference.)

? The cover has been long gone from the OD relay so I'm thinking of just replacing the unit. I'm free-wheeling so I think I'm permanently in OD at this point but need to go over the schematics and test all the switches. I tried pulling the OD knob while test driving and it pulled back! I have a '49 Nash 600 with a variation of this OD so I've got a wee bit of experience there. (BTW, it was the Nash's smooth L6 that got me looking at L8s and that got me looking at Packards and, well, that got me here to this fine group.)

? I'm leaking electrons and draining the battery. Last night I took a good look around with all switches off and saw a dim tail light and a dimmer pilot by the dash push-buttons. I read that the light switch sequence is Park, Head, Off, (repeat) but that little pilot wouldn't go out... wiring or switch I'm guessing. Time to get upside down under the dash with a flashlight and test light.

? Pushbutton's comment on brakes is spot on so I'm leaning towards Kanter's full system replacement kit.

? It came with a visor in the trunk and I'm kinda tempted to install it. No hardware to be found so I'm open to advise on mounting it.

So, any leads on the above parts suppliers would be appreciated. She'll be a nice daily driver with regular 3 hour weekend trips planned so I won't need the concourse level items.

Thanks much guys,

Attach file:

jpg  (20.94 KB)
2646_4c0353feb7712.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/31 1:17
Michal

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Congratulations Michal on joining the Packard driving experience, as Packardtaximan said in another thread.

From the sounds of things you certainly know your way around and understand things electrical and mechanical. Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your '49 Nash, if possible?

Posted on: 2010/5/31 1:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Thanks Mal. Here're more pics of the Nash than you probably bargained for; give me time and I'll get something similar up for the Packard.

http://gallery.mac.com/ellechero#100088&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Cheers,

Posted on: 2010/5/31 1:48
Michal

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on your latest acquisition.

Depending on which style air cleaner, there are a couple of different brackets--also different bracket for different carbs so will need more into. I wound up making one for a 54 style cleaner which wasn't too difficult. A couple of bends and slots in some 1/8" strap steel so that might also be an option.

Your car could have either an R-9 or R-11 OD. If similar to your Nash, probably the R-11. Relay on those are 4 terminals with a fuse on side. R-9 has 6 terminals in a box about the size of a voltage regulator. R-11 parts a little easier to come by vs the R-9 and most of the electrical is being reproduced. 5th Ave Garage is one placehttp://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/ There is a nice write up in service counselors on each type and there are also service manuals for the OD units--or as Packard called them postwar, EconoDrive--in the literature section.

The escaping electrons problem sounds interesting since the pilot bulb is right off the headlight switch. A wiring diagram is also available in the literature section.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 8:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have an extra bracket for the oil bath air cleaner. It fits my 23rd series, 1950 Packard Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan, (same body as yours). My Packard has the 288 engine. You can have this bracket for $10.00 and it is already clean, painted, and ready to bolt on. Add shipping or pick up in National City, CA (near San Diego).

My "streamliner" came with a cheap chrome air filter on the carb and a really dirty oil bath air cleaner in the trunk. After a day of cleaning, sanding, and painting I got a nice air filter. I had to make the attaching bolt. The bracket I got from a Packard guy and ended up with 2 of them. I got the decal for the air filter from the Packard Club ad.

When I put the oil bath air filter on the Packard the engine noise went way down. That big can across the engine is a MUFFLER with internal baffles, designed to silence carburetor roar. It works.

Email me directly for details. fredpuhn@cox.net

Posted on: 2010/5/31 18:58
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Great looking "tub"!

Posted on: 2010/5/31 20:37
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved