Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 166

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Steering Wheel Removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
I'm getting into all kinds of trouble...attempting to remove the steering wheel on the `53 Pat, took off the center hub nut but no amount of penetrating oil and wheel puller will budge the wheel off the column. Am I missing something?

Posted on: 2010/5/20 19:52
`53 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering Wheel Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It will require a steering wheel puller. Has to be the type that thread into two threaded holes--one on either side of the center shaft. Bolts thread into those and the puller screws down against the shaft pulling wheel off. Of course, the horn wire also has to come out first. Wheel should come off --maybe with some effort--but may be that at some time in the past, the shaft has been mushroomed.

Usually it will be difficult for about half a turn of wrench then sort of pops loose.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Follow HH56's advice on the use of a STEERING wheel puller. They're not expensive. IF the steering wheel is on a tapered shaft then u mite have to strike the puller bolt head with a rather medium weight hammer blow.

Someone else will have to advise as to whether it is on a taper or a spline shaft.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 20:07
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Another method in the absense of a puller that i do NOT like to use but does work:

Squat in the front seat of the car with your knees grasping under the rim of the steering wheel. Use a brass hammer to strike the shaft with a full body yank backwards to pull up on the steering wheel with your knees.

Again it is a method to be avoided under most circumstances but it does work.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 20:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I find this WAY better than a steering wheel puller: get yourself a little piece of flat steel about 2 inches long and about 1/4 inch thick. Drill two holes in it spaced to match the two threaded holes on the steering wheel. Buy two grade eight bolts 5/16-24 thread about an inch long, or maybe 1 1/4. Bolt your new "puller" over the steering shaft after you have removed the horn wire. Alternately tighten the two bolts til the wheel pops loose. If the bolts seem to bottom, just add washers under them. This system can be made at home in a few minutes and will not damage the steering shaft. The same steel with different bolts and a socket as spacer will pull 48-54 wheels and 55-56 wheels.

Yes, the steering shaft is tapered and splined. Note that one spline is missing on the shaft to match a thick spline on the steering wheel for correct reinstallation.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Another method in the absense of a puller that i do NOT like to use but does work:

Squat in the front seat of the car with your knees grasping under the rim of the steering wheel. Use a brass hammer to strike the shaft with a full body yank backwards to pull up on the steering wheel with your knees.

This works for me, too, but I like to leave the nut on to protect the threads.

Posted on: 2010/5/20 21:39
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
Thanks All for the info. We did use the steering wheel puller and cranked the pullers bolt until it was damn hard to turn. no give at all ! nothing looks damaged or rusty or ? so it looks innocent enough until you try and the wheel refuses to budge off the splines at all.. we'll try again after thinking nice thoughts....

Posted on: 2010/5/21 6:34
`53 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps a little shot of PB Blaster between the hub the shaft and give it some soak time. May help to break things free.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 11:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:

This works for me, too, but I like to leave the nut on to protect the threads.

Another thing to be careful of when using this method is that it can lead to a severe case of "hockey-mouth".

Posted on: 2010/5/22 6:29
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gary
See User information
well, after lubricating with Kroil for the 3rd time and hammer strikes to the puller, the wheel popped off. And i do mean popped; between the tension on the puller and the internal spring, the entire apparatus flew off the column. No damage, just kinda surprised is all....

Posted on: 2010/5/22 7:21
`53 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved