Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Interesting Single Six from down under
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bernie,

Sending email with DavidM's details.

The other option would be the PACA Website -http://packardaustralia.com/ - which has a Membership Form downloadable in PDF format.

Hope to catch up with you at future PACA events.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 1:11
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Hello
Having done some more research I am now fairly confident that the car is a 1923 Single Six 126 with a coachbuilt "Holbrook" Doctor's Coupe body. It is to be delivered to my home early next week where I will quickly learn the engine number and be able to take some better detail photographs. After inspecting the car again I believe that while it has spent some time out in the open it has not done a huge number of miles. Unfortunately the speedo is one of the things that is missing. While in scruffy condition there are significant traces of the original paint. I doubt that it has ever been repainted. Most of the timber in the body frame is quite sound and repairable despite being weathered
I am led to believe that Single Six cars with this body are quite rare.
I will be starting work on the restoration straight away and would be interested to hear from any other owners of Packards with this body. In particular I would like to see some photographs of the interior seating and trim. I understand that the front passenger seat is rather different.
Watch this space!

Bernie J.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 3:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Hello
Having done some more research I am now fairly confident that the car is a 1923 Single Six 126 with a coachbuilt "Holbrook" Doctor's Coupe body. It is to be delivered to my home early next week where I will quickly learn the engine number and be able to take some better detail photographs. After inspecting the car again I believe that while it has spent some time out in the open it has not done a huge number of miles. Unfortunately the speedo is one of the things that is missing. While in scruffy condition there are significant traces of the original paint. I doubt that it has ever been repainted. Most of the timber in the body frame is quite sound and repairable despite being weathered
I am led to believe that Single Six cars with this body are quite rare.
I will be starting work on the restoration straight away and would be interested to hear from any other owners of Packards with this body. In particular I would like to see some photographs of the interior seating and trim. I understand that the front passenger seat is rather different.
Watch this space!

Bernie J.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 3:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Thank you!
I find in the little world of old motor cars that it is amazing where help comes from. Most often it costs nothing to repay it.

Bernie J.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 7:07
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Bernie,

You may want to consider starting a project Blog thread in the Project Forum for your Single Six. Then you can keep all the posts about it together. Makes for much easier reference later on.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 12:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Hello All
Those who are following my thread on the AACA Forum will know that I have now bought this Packard. and have started into its restoration. The attached cartoon from the "Old Car Illustrated" Winter 1976 edition may help to explain its present condition.

Bernie J.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.73 KB)
2754_4c75cd3e9ca5c.jpg 886X450 px

Posted on: 2010/8/25 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi Benjie,

That looks like quite an interesting project you have there. I noticed you mentioned the vehicle has a holbrook body, I was going through some images and came across another Packard with a Holbrook body. This vehicle use to belong to Max Hood and as far as I know still resides in Australia

Cheers,
Mathew

Attach file:

jpg  (136.60 KB)
24_4c7a357815bff.jpg 1280X890 px

Posted on: 2010/8/29 5:25
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Hello Mathew
Thanks for the photo of the Coupe. I don't know this particular car but then again I am new to Packards but am hopeful that it is not too late for an old dog to learn some new tricks. Talking with some friends to-day one pointed out that if the rebuild of the Single Six takes me (say) four years, then I will be 78 when it is finished. So what! I have friends who are still driving their cars in competition who are well into their 80s.
Yesterday I removed both left hand side mudguards (fenders) and the running board (side step). Today I have removed those on the right hand side. During the week I will take them to be bead blasted prior to taking them to have all the little dings and bumps ironed out and a couple of small patches of rust repaired. But I won't be sitting on my hands while that is happening. The aluminum skin has to be (very carefully) removed so that three or four cracks can be repaired while I attend to the wood frame. With that done, the next task is to build the seat frames for the individual front seats and the occasional rear seat. Of course the chassis still has to be totally stripped bead blasted and painted. Then the re-assembly can begin. There are hours, weeks and even months of fun ahead. The big thing is to do something, no matter how small or large, every day.
Oh yes I did help my wife in the garden for an hour or two this afternoon, that way I can be reasonably sure of a couple of meals each day and half a bed every night.

Bernie J.

Posted on: 2010/8/29 7:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
to Bernie for including his '23 Single Six Coupe in the Packard Owner's Registry. Took a few days to get it on board, with BigKev having to reconfigure the database table to include 1st Series '23's, and all good now.

Posted on: 2011/9/16 19:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
My Thanks to all the good people who bent over backwards to assist in placing my car on the register.
Going back a post or two, originally I was under the misapprehension that my coupe was a Holbrook body. This is of course quite incorrect. Holbrook only built their bodies on later 8 cylinder chassis. My car was a standard Packard factory 222 (doctor's) 4 person coupe. In the course of rebuilding the body I have removed the pivot points for the legendary folding front passenger seat.
If you see also my other thread here you will note that I am very interested in obtaining any information regarding my cars early life in America and especially the events leading up to its decapitation.

Bernie J.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.17 KB)
2754_4e741abdcf977.jpg 1181X757 px

Posted on: 2011/9/16 22:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved