Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
246 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 243

Ozstatman, DavidPackard, R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Caribbean Interior
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Does anyone know if interior "kits" are available or if the upholstery, door panels, trunk liner and convertible tops have to be hand made? Also, can anyone give me an idea of what these items should cost?

Posted on: 2010/5/29 10:25
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/regist
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Caribbean Interior
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As far as I know nothing is "ready-made" like you see for the Tri-5 Chevys and other popular models. You will have to work with an upholstery shop to have everything made.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 10:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe that one was mostly leather so will set you back plenty.

Don't know of any kits either except believe Kanter used to (maybe still does) have a generic-- worked with a supplier that would sew up something that fit with basic modern fabrics-- thing like the current carpet and headliners.

I'm curious to hear an idea as to what a finished upholstery shop job would cost today--just to see how bad it has become if I ever decide to finish the 47.

Just looked at receipts from 1989 when I had a Pacific interior done almost from scratch. Saved the headliner and I found a vendor with the correct pattern seat fabric (white/black) and dyed it myself to correct color (green/black). Everything else--carpet, vinyl, etc was supplied & done by a good quality shop. At that time his part with the receipts I have was $2844.73 and we are not the highest priced part of the country here as far as labor goes. Am sure there was some small cash outlays not counted in that as well.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 11:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As far as I know nothing is "ready-made"

Convertible tops are readily available ready-made from several Packard vendors or from the manufacturers who supply them. Materials differ according to year and options, but the pattern is essentially the same 51-56 and all the major top makers have them. Quite a few of us have bought tops from "EZ-On" in South Carolina but there are others as well. My top from EZ fit perfectly on my 56.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
I believe Kev is correct. You can get leather material from SMS or Bill Hirsch and have a local upholstery shop do the work. There are a large number of photos of the interior available if you need something to give to the local shop as a guide. Convertible tops are available from several Packard and non-Packard sources. Try SMS for the trunk material. As HH56 mentioned, this will not be an inexpensive process. Good luck and post some photos of your project so we can share in your joy and pain.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 14:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Posted on: 2010/5/30 7:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Leon "Pete"
See User information
I moved my post because I didn't realize that it would look like there were no new posts on the thread.

Posted on: 2010/8/21 10:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved