Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

my intro
Just popping in
Just popping in

joel_t
See User information
hello im Joel from long island N.Y. i have a 1938 Packard 4dr with a super 8 im not ready to work on it yet i have it sitting for a while as im currently rebuilding my 47 Plymouth
my car doesn't have any serious rot just a few spots that needs patches ,some new trim,the luggage rack, new interior, and one rear vent window assemble the rusted away. i did get the car running after being in storage for so long she sound beefy i will be here reading from time to time and can not wait to start work on it
does anyone know what modern car rims fit my Packard so that i can remove my orig rims and work on them i would like to blast/paint them and get new inner tubes i already purchased new 16" tires

Attach file:

jpg  (33.83 KB)
2786_4c1b3d8bc1c0f.jpg 600X365 px

jpg  (28.74 KB)
2786_4c1b3e4e3a9ec.jpg 600X365 px

Posted on: 2010/6/18 4:37
 Top  Print   

Re: my intro
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
joel_t wrote: hello im Joel from long island N.Y. i have a 1938 Packard 4dr with a super 8......
G'day Joel,
to PackardInfo and could you please include your '38 Super 8 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/6/18 5:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joel_t
See User information
i would like help to figure what model it is and the specs it came with from factory
my vin is I2722253 then i will add it to the registry with all current info i think its a 1114 Super Eight Touring Sedan but looking at the picture on this site my rear roof line is has a greater slope the rear side window looks smaller and my rear door top hinge is lower ? if need be i will take allot of photos of my 38 if we have to dig deeper and i dont know if my front fenders have been changed as they do not have wheels mounted to them :(

Posted on: 2010/6/18 20:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have you looked thru the 1939 pictures and model info. Others here are much more knowledgeable in this area, but 1272 indicates a 1939 Super 8 Touring Sedan. If it is a 1939, the data book and owners manual as well as service manual are on site & should answer most of your questions.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 21:31
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joel_t
See User information
registration says 1938 the tag on the cowl says manufacture date of x-mas 1938 so maybe i got an early 39 tagged as and last minute 38 ? sound plausible
the game is afoot

Posted on: 2010/6/18 23:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Some states titled by the year it was delivered regardless of the model year. If it was built Dec 1938, then it should be a 1939 model.

Posted on: 2010/6/18 23:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Joel,

You have a 1939 Super 8 Model 1703 Body number 1272. Take your time and learn as much as you can about the car. It is a mix of very available 1940 senior pieces, some junior pieces, and many 39 Super 8 only pieces.

I have learned a bit about this particular model, by default, through owning, maintaining, and operating the exact same model.

Once completely sorted out, they are not a bad car. We enjoy ours.

Jim

P.S. take a look here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=942

Posted on: 2010/6/19 0:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

joel_t
See User information
wow that's great info i don't know if i should call it a 38 or 39 :) i can not wait to start the work on this car once i finish my custom i am building
with the total production being just under 4000 would that make the car more rare then normal or is 4000 an average number of cars produced back then
also what modern car rims fit the bolt pattern so that i can media blast my rims, change the inner tubes and put the new rubber i have i search but couldn't find a refrence

Posted on: 2010/6/19 20:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2010/6/19 21:33
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Joel,

As for your question: "with the total production being just under 4000 would that make the car more rare then normal or is 4000 an average number of cars produced back then"

Yes, that is a relatively low production number compared to most any mass produced automobile. Not terribly low as compared to V-12 and special construction Packard's. The 39 Super 8 is a very unique situation. It was effectively the last hand built Super 8. From what I have learned the 39 Super 8 was being built while the 1940 assembly line was being created to facilitate mass production of all models including senior models.

Rarity certainly does not equal popularity. The 1939 Super 8 is not always met with the same enthusiasm as the 40. Regardless of individual testimony as to the merits or demerits of this model, it is a recognized full classic by the Classic Car Club of America probably due to the hand built nature of factory assembly.

"i can not wait to start the work on this car..."

Again, I cannot stress researching and learning as much about the car, options, trim, and especially engine as possible. The engine in particular is a very sophisticated piece, both ahead of it's time, fragile, expensive, and baffling all in one. Through personal necessity, I am intimately familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of this year model piece. As you learn more and have questions, please ask. There are some very sharp people on this forum that can give you personal opinion. You can take those opinions and form your own.

"also what modern car rims fit the bolt pattern"

None. There is a locating thong that sticks out of each drum / hub assembly. Short of drilling each modern wheel to allow the thong to stick through they will not fit. Jack stands should tide you over.

Use the literature available to you on this site. All the important literature including the sales lit, data book, parts book, and the holy grail of all 39 lit., the Data book. This will give you a real leg up understanding what is correct, where it goes, and how it works.

Best of luck,
Jim

Posted on: 2010/6/19 23:04
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved