Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 198

Tobs, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

areodrive problem
Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill
See User information
Hello all, I sure could use a little help with a transmission issue on a 1941 120. I removed the areodrive unit that was functioning superb,to replace the gasket that was leaking. I did not remove any wires on the unit. After installation, the car will not move backwards in neutral with engine on or off. All of the wires are secure. Thanks for any replies.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 19:29
 Top  Print   

Re: areodrive problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I am assuming that you are replacing the solenoid to overdrive case gasket. You may have installed the solenoid incorrectly. The solenoid will bind if it the spacer is upside down also. I am assuming you know the procedure for installing the solenoid. The solenoid must be energized before you can attach the rod to the pawl. Energize the solenoid insert the solenoid so that the rod is angled towards the front of the car then tilt it towards the rear to engage the pawl.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 19:43

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am I understanding you correctly, the car is locked and will not budge at all backward even if pushed? If so, can you push if forward or will it drive forward?

If it is totally locked going in reverse, and the solenoid is installed correctly have a look at service counselor vol 21 #15https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL21NO15.pdf and see if any of those symptoms fit. Even though it's a later bulletin, the overdrive is virtually the same as what was used on your car. Perhaps when replacing the unit, something was misaligned or is now binding to the point the sleeve mentioned as the problem for driving in reverse is locking things up.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 19:49
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill
See User information
Thanks guys. Wow, I have had the solenoid off before and didn't know about the energizing information, Got lucky I guess. Also did not know the proper install process. I feel lucky that I didn't screw something up on the previous attempts. The car will move in forward gears. Thank you, thank you, for the reply's

Posted on: 2010/8/17 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Overdrive cars will not back up if the overdrive is somehow engaged--except with loud and expensive banging. So I'm guessing yours has engaged as a result of the solenoid not being hooked into the pawl, but rather pushing in on the end of it. So remove it, energize it by grounding the governor connection or by grounding one of the terminals at the kickdown switch, and then reinstall as described above.

PS, to energize it, you will have to provide a ground for the solenoid case while you handle it--something like a test lead with alligator clips.

Posted on: 2010/8/17 21:39
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill
See User information
Thanks Ross.

Attach file:

jpg  (170.11 KB)
348_4c6b4adadee7a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/8/17 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Nice looking car.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 15:14
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Bill
See User information
Thanks for all that replied. You guys have helped be tremendously. I have the solenoid installed and the car backs up and runs out fine. Seems changing out the gaskets on the solenoid and spacer did not solve my original problem. The area around the solenoid was pretty oily when I removed it and drops of oil were dripping from the bottom side. (So I assumed it was the gaskets.) After cleaning everything up and re-installation, I have oil dripping what appears to be a weep hole above the bottom bolt on the spacer that connects the solenoid. Is this an indicator of a worn shaft seal?

Posted on: 2010/8/19 20:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Bilybaloo, I am glad you got the solenoid installed. I would replace that rod seal also.If worn it can make the solenoid rod sticky as well as allow oil to leak past. Max Merritt sells them I believe.

Posted on: 2010/8/19 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Help needed. Same exact problem.

Replacement wired. Attempted to energize and nothing. Either taking the governor to ground nor the kickdown switch. Cable is in. Ignition on. Solenoid case clipped to ground.

?????????????

Posted on: 2011/1/29 2:28
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved