Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 179

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oil Filter
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

Refereing to the Packard V8 engine oil filter, is the center tube the return and the side fitting the feed from the pump? I am thinking of converting to a full flow spin on oil filter. Comments welcome.

Jerry

Posted on: 2010/8/22 13:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Are you thinking about converting your engine to a full-flow oil filtering system, or using a modern spin-on oil filter in by-pass mode?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/22 13:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd also be interested in your thoughts and results.

In the standard V8 Packard supplied setup, the side opening is the inlet from a passage in L head and the center opening is outlet dropping into the lifter galley. There were some early 40's and aftermarket filters where this was reversed. Doubtful you have one of those but since it was an option, anything is possible from a dealer.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 13:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote :
"...center opening is outlet dropping into the lifter galley."

Minor correction. The V8 oil filter drains into the timing chain area which is seperated from the lifer gallery. Contrary to pouplar belief the oil draining from the filter does NOT drip onto the timing chain. It simply runs down the front face of the block behind and well to the rite of the timing chain.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 7:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I beileve the timing chain gets a periodic squirt of oil from the camshaft thrust plate and spacer arrangement.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
I beileve the timing chain gets a periodic squirt of oil from the camshaft thrust plate and spacer arrangement.

Correct Brian. The late engines had an intermittent squirt (once every rotation of the cam I recall). The early engines had a continuous flow and that was one of the issues with the lifters not getting enough oil. The intermittent cam spacer held more pressure in the lifter oil passage.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I believe the oil filter is standard on 1955-56 models not an option.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 8:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Commencing in 1940, I believe I'm correct when I say that all Packards that had hydraulic lifters had an oil filter as standard equipment and were both a factory and dealer option on others. Prior to that, starting in 1934 all the Senior cars had roller-follower cam/lifters and full-flow filters (Purolator L-6 in 1934, L-8 in the other years) as standard equipment. For some years prior to that back to the advent of the Single-Eight the filters were Purolator EF-1 of the by-pass type.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'd have to concur with Owen, every Packard straight eight I've seen from '47 up has had an oil filter if it has hydraulic lifters, and very few solid lifter cars have had them. My '48 288 doesn't, but my '53 288 did.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 9:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 327 (Solid Lifter) did not come with one originally, it was added on later and is a Packard filter from a pre-war model.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 10:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved