Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

BigKev, Todd W. White, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Kick panels on 23rd series Deluxe 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have a 1950 Packard 23rd series Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan that needs some upholstery restoration. I am trying to duplicate the original specs as much as possible. The door panels and trim are original grey fabric, but I am not sure about the kick panels. These are the panels on the sides in front of the front doors. They have air vents in them.

My kick panels appear to be cardboad with a curved shape to them (or maybe they are warped). They are covered with a red plastic (vinyl?) upholstery material. Can anyone tell me if this seems correct for my car?

I plan to go to the upholstery shop in a couple days. If anyone can send me photos of correct kick panels that would help me a lot.

fredpuhn@cox.net

Posted on: 2010/8/23 22:13
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Kick panels on 23rd series Deluxe 8
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Then should be made of black fiber board. Same as the board used in the door panels. I would think that the vinyl is incorrect and was probably recovered by someone later in the cars life. I would imagine that the material should be the same as the door panel material, or black.

Posted on: 2010/8/23 22:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If it's any help, here's a photo of the panel from my '50 Custom. I'm 99.8 percent sure it's original. You might try going through the Photo Archive here to see if there's a photo that shows a Deluxe panel.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.33 KB)
188_4c7345bb26620.jpg 669X497 px

Posted on: 2010/8/23 23:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
painted fiberboard.
If you need the vinyl, the brown with black in the grain,is of course matching the bottom of the doors. I found an excellent match at an upholstery store. The "Spanish grain" two color gets you in the right section of their book.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 7:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Fred,
Went through the Photo Archive this morning for 22nd and 23rd series to see if I could find a photo of a Deluxe kick panel. No luck... all Customs.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
FWIW, even though my '48 doesn't have kick panels anymore per se, I do have the trim for them, and they're just a simple chrome ring with a single strip of chrome running down the middle, but it also has the same chrome trim as JD's '50 Custom. Mine's also a Deluxe 8.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Thanks folks for your help. I think what is in the car is original based on some pictures in factory brochure. The covering on my kick panels matches the material on the door panels that is under the chrome strip. The door panels are original. I will duplicate what is now in the car unless I find some different information.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 14:45
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
The kick panels should match the material that is on the lower door panels.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 17:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Below are some before and after pics of my kick panels. I found an upholstery guy who made me the new ones for about $40 total. He told me they are real easy to make and took him very little time. As can be seen from the pics there is still much more to do. They were a hard board before (in terrible shape from wear) but now have new ones with a vinyl cover. I'll keep the originals stored in case they have value to someone in the future.

Attach file:

jpg  (117.58 KB)
1341_4c75ba1fcefff.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (204.97 KB)
1341_4c75ba34ae4ba.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (175.14 KB)
1341_4c75ba426f9c9.jpg 1600X1066 px

Posted on: 2010/8/25 19:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved