Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

NEED HELP ON BRAKES
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

StraightEights&Aces
See User information
I own a 1951 300 and I have something grinding in my rear pass brake and I'm trying to remove the brake drum. I got a axle puller that fits to remove the drum but nothing is budging and my axle puller is getting the crap kicked out of it. Am I missing something like some kind of lock pin or release? Any help Please.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 18:28
 Top  Print   

Re: NEED HELP ON BRAKES
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
just my amateur comment from my lack of experience....have you loosened the axle nut? It ain;t gonna come off unless you do so...

Posted on: 2010/8/25 18:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the type puller mentioned several times on site,https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=8062#forumpost8062 then put it on, loosen the nut a few turns but leave it on and then tighten the puller as much as you can. If the drum has not been off in a considerable time it can take quite a while for it to break loose and may even be a day or so with periodic banging to tighten some more. It will eventually pop loose with great force--hence the recommendation to leave the nut on lest it go thru the garage wall--or your wife's car. Some have even resorted to heat-- gently applied-- to the hub with some success.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 18:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also you may need to retract the brake shoes using the star-adjuster. In some cases this will bind on a wear ridge on the drum, and obviously make sure the parking brake is off. Take a look at my project blog as I have step by step pictures of disassembling the rear drum/brakes.

Posted on: 2010/8/25 23:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

StraightEights&Aces
See User information
Thanks for the help I think what I need is a proper puller. The axle puller I have is not holding up and the pics of the puller on BigKevs blog is like twice as thick. I guess I'll ask Does anyone have a puller for sale or rent?

Posted on: 2010/8/26 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
One other trick is to loosen the nut about a turn and drive the car a few times in a figure eight (helpful if you have an empty parking lot near by) and let the side loading do the work.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 16:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Does anyone have a puller for sale or rent?

Usually, a large equipment rental business will have one for rent at an reasonable rate. That's what I did when I lived in Las Vegas.

You may still have to apply the tricks noted above.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/26 17:11
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
They show up on Ebay from time to time for a Buy it now price of $49 plus $12 shipping

Posted on: 2010/8/26 20:13
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If your local Napa dealer has them you can rent or buy from them. Otherwise, you might as well get one yourself if you are going to go through the brakes again.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 22:19
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also dont be afraid to hammer the crap out of the puller dog bone. One side of mine really needed a pounding before it finally "popped". I found that heavy duty blue-point (snap-on) puller at the local flea market. Most folks don't even know what it even is. They are called "Tapered Axle Drum Pullers". It must be the type that attaches to the lug bolts.

Posted on: 2010/8/26 23:22
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved