Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: U vs TU
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH, I think what answers the poster's question is if you can tell a 54 conventional from a 54 Gear-Start by the quadrant. Is 54 Gear Start quadrant the same as 55, if you know?

Posted on: 2010/8/31 19:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
'54 Early (and prior years) are PNHLR, Late '54 (Gear Start) are PN'DLR.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 21:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Yup, not the same, but it seems like the 54 gear start is unique.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/1 3:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

I was responding to the post, where JW asked two distinct questions:

Quote:
Did the '54 Gear Start used 'H' like O_D suggested, or 'D' like the '55 & '56 Twin. What did the '56 Push Button use?

Seems to me that he was confused by your post, which advised:

Quote:
I believe (never seen one though) that you can ID a 54 gear-start from the conventional Ultramatic by the extra indicator points on the indicator quadrant (on the steering column).

EDIT: PN'H'LR vs. PNHLR

Yet, BigKev had already replied:

Quote:
It has a D. So PN'DLR.

As such, I merely answered JW's second question with a representation of the '56 pushbutton layout, which, technically, has NO quadrant.

However, since the order of the pushbuttons makes no sense to the casual observer, especially when compared to the quadrant used with manual select, I felt that further explanation was in order - rather than waiting until that question was asked. I also included a representation of the manual select quadrant layout for '56.

I then included the quadrant layout for '55 as an additional reference and for comparison and contrast to Kev's representation of the Gear Start quadrant, with an explanation of the dual-range function (and the little triangles). It isn't simply a matter of a "D", there.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 9:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All's well that ends well, the poster got his answers. Sorry if I added confusion, I really didn't know enough about it and shouldn't have gotten involved. Lesson learned.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks to all for providing us with information on yet another little wrinkle in our Packards. I especially appreciated the explanation on the push button layout.

(o(I}o)

Posted on: 2010/9/1 10:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

It's all good discussion, which helped keep the thread rolling, and we all learned that the Gear Start has unique quadrant.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
So the late 54 is distinguished from the earlier non-gear start 54s just by one little "'" and D instead of H on the quadrant! Thanks all!

Posted on: 2010/9/1 10:48
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
So the late 54 is distinguished from the earlier non-gear start 54s just by one little "'" and D instead of H on the quadrant! Thanks all!

That, and the presence of a dipstick tube under the hood like the later Ultramatics.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 12:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved