Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil bath or dry?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
I was calling the parts links today looking for an Air cleaner asembly. I am unfortunatly missing all of it. When i spoke to them they asked, if it was an oil bath or dry?
I have been assuming i was looking for an oil bath. That is what the owners manuel here describes. Can someone explin if im wrong or if there are 2 options or something? If thanks.
Matt
1949 deluxe 8
model 2362
288 engine
3 speed manuel w/OD

Posted on: 2007/12/12 15:39
 Top  Print 

Re: oil bath or dry?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
sorry about the spelling errors

Posted on: 2007/12/12 15:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check the parts book and you'll find them all listed. The oil bath was only standard equipment on the Custom 8; optional on the others.

Posted on: 2007/12/12 15:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think you're looking for the oil bath type. There were different styles but I believe yours came with the kind similar to the one Big Kev has on his engine that sits on carb--only taller and not as wide. It could have been optioned for the senior engine type though that straddles the block, one end on carb, other on a bracket on drivers side behind oil filler. Either will work, depending on what you can find that fits the carb and lets the hood close.

Edit: I have the tendency to call all oil bath, but I think maybe that's not proper terminology. Dry to me is like the paper filter, maybe oil wetted where the element is actually not sitting above a pool of oil is what vendor is calling dry and oil bath is where you add 1/2 qt oil to a reservoir. Am sure Mr Owen-D will have the correct usage to enlighten.

Posted on: 2007/12/12 16:48
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is the non-oil bath one on my '54. I belive the one for you car would have been a little different as described by Howard.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.54 KB)
1_4760a75b3506a.jpg 185X147 px

Posted on: 2007/12/12 22:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The oil bath (standard on senior cars, optional on others at least back to 1934) used a shredded, fiberous packing derived from either the Kapok tree or some cactus plant, I forget which, compacted into a nest-like form, is partially immersed in oil. The oil wicks up the fibers and catches the dry dust particles. The non-oil bath uses a metal mesh much like "chore boy" kitchen pot scrubbers enclosed in an inner and outer enclosure of perforated metal. It is meant to be oiled, meaning wetted with oil, after cleaning. Oil bath types on Packards, starting at least in 1934 and perhaps earlier have the oil bath pod at one end, connected by a horizontal tube, maybe 6-8 inches in diameter, to the other end which goes over the top of the carburetor. Early non-oil baths had a somewhat similar appearance but later ones, certainly 51 and up, were like hats or caps on top of the carburetor. It should be pretty easy to tell one from the other, the oil bath type has a lower portion to contain the oil, with a "fill" or "oil" mark stamped into the shell to show the proper level of oil.

Posted on: 2007/12/12 23:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I have the same as you pictured on my 53 Deluxe. Where do I get the air filter? the part number from Napa is about 3" high and would dent my closed hood from the screw and wing nut in th3 middle. The one in there now looks like someone just stepped on it to make it lower?

Posted on: 2017/4/21 0:11
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
on my 49 deluxe eight 2362 there was a small round thing with even a smaller wire mesh on the top. only a single stripe of metal holds it to the head. see pics below. The manual mentiond the oil bath type as an option.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.79 KB)
151586_58f9bdc891664.jpg 800X599 px

jpg  (49.74 KB)
151586_58f9bdd929648.jpg 800X599 px

Posted on: 2017/4/21 3:08
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Benda,

There is no replaceable paper element like you would have with a modern car. If just a metal mesh that gets cleaned with gas to remove all the dirt, and re-oiled. If you mesh is missing, then you can replace it with something like those metal copper pot scrubbers or something similar.

If you look at my project blog, you'll see later on, I replaced this non-oil bath type, with the optional oil-bath one that goes across the engine.

Posted on: 2017/4/21 8:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved