Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

j41157, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 packard clipper / straight 8
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
Does anyone have any idea of a ballpark M.P.G. for this car??

Posted on: 2010/9/15 11:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 packard clipper / straight 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A good answer would be helped by first knowing (1) which engine, 288 or 327, (2) automatic or manual trans, (3) if manual, with or without overdrive, (4) general engine condition, and (5) rear axle ratio.

Without knowing any of that, I'd guess that with the smaller Clipper engine and Ultramatic you might expect 10-11 around town if you're a light-footed driver, and perhaps 17-18 at highway speed of about 60 mph. These should be about 7% or so less than they got when new due to the ethanol-containing gasoline.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 11:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
1) 327, 2) automatic, 4)odometer says 45,000 miles.seems to be in very good shape (smooth, no noise, no leaks) 5) unsure of rear axle ratio.(learning as i go...) Thanks, Misty

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
My '52 Mayfair is set up that way and I average about 15 mpg on good days touring. I have a light foot and rarely go over 55.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 13:26
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
Then I'll probably get about 10...I have a lead foot!!! Thanks for all the useful info.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 14:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54 packard clipper
See User information
I drove her home 2 nights ago. The speedo doesn't work...felt like I was going 50-55 mph. Had a friend follow me home...He said I was doing 70-75..holy cow!!!!smooth ride , couldn't even tell!!!

Posted on: 2010/9/15 14:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Misty,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '54 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/9/15 14:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I drove her home 2 nights ago. The speedo doesn't work...felt like I was going 50-55 mph. Had a friend follow me home...He said I was doing 70-75..holy cow!!!!smooth ride , couldn't even tell!!!

Wow, you sound like me! You might want to revise that 10 mpg to a little less, more like 8mpg. Incidentially, if you bump up the compression ratio with a 288AT head you'll get a little better fuel economy, the ethanol in the gas is made for higher compression engines, and 7.5:1 just doesn't cut it anymore. If you do a little research on Ethanol you'll find that it operates so much better on higher compression ratios, which is why my 356 will have a lot more than the stock compression ratio, and will run on E85 only.

Posted on: 2010/9/15 15:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved