Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 235

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust Manifold question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
In having my exhaust manifold gasket changed out, it was noticed that the manifold is pitted. Can these be refinished, or do I need to order another one? There are a couple of machine shops in town, I was thinking of starting there, but wondered if there was a limit to how many times that can be done, like rotors, etc. If I have to have a new one, where is the best place to start? Anyone else ever have this done??

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust Manifold question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You mean the outside? Pitting is a normal result of age and use. It does not need replacing. If the look of it bothers you, you could paint it with hi temp paint. You could also have it coated with porcelain enamel but that is VERY expensive.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks Rusty! It has already been bead blasted and painted, thank goodness it was okay!! The one used one I found was $660 dollars!! Holy moley, who would've thunk???

Posted on: 2010/9/28 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Wow, looks like I need to raise some prices...!!

Posted on: 2010/9/28 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'd think that price would include an attached parts car (or darn near).

Posted on: 2010/9/28 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On a good day I will sell you two complete 288 engines with manifolds attached for that money.

I assume you mean that the face that bolts to the engine is pitted. The very best option is to have the intake and exhaust manifolds machined as one unit so everything is nice and flat (we are talking about a straight eight here, aren't we?) After the machining, take a file or die grinder and remove all of the sharp edges so they won't dig into the new gaskets.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Wow!! I could have the 576ci V16 for my Packie!! I have to tell you I was shocked! I will take your advice about the filing though.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 21:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
After the machining, take a file or die grinder and remove all of the sharp edges so they won't dig into the new gaskets.

Never thought to do that. Sounds like a good idea. I replaced a cracked intake/exhaust manifold on my 327. Had the assembly resurfaced and then installed it. It wasn't long before I noticed part of one of the gaskets was moving because of the heating and cooling. Thought I didn't have the thing torqued down properly. Now I think the problem was caused by the sharp edged left from the resurfacing digging into the gasket. Never had the same problem with a V8 exhaust or a 6 intake/exhaust manifold. You live and learn.

Posted on: 2010/9/30 23:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved