Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 221

kevinpackard, charlieshot, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Manual Transmission - 1950 Deluxe 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
13614 is the sequence number based on a starting number of either 1001 or 2001. The number varied and I have a mental block so never remember which number they used for a particular year. Yours would be either the 12614th or the 11614th 23rd series car built. Without consulting Bob Neal's book, I believe the 23rd series sequence number was out of total production of all models. Some years the sequence number was out of total number of a particular model built. One of the more knowledgeable on 23rd series will have the starting number and will correct me if I guessed wrong on it being based on total production.

WSW is white sidewalls and 69 is the trim.

Posted on: 2017/8/14 23:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Thanks for the info. But I'm confused (common occurrence). If the number on the build slip is the sequence number, what does the 47522 number on the patent plate (mine is 2362-5-47522) represent? I understood it to be the sequential production number. Does sequence number mean something different than sequential production number?

Also, is the patent plate number considered by most to be the VIN?

Thanks

Posted on: 2017/8/14 23:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also, is the patent plate number considered by most to be the VIN?

If you go back to post #14 of this thread and look at the image of the patent plate, you'll see that the first space is labeled "Vehicle Number" so yes, the number in this space is the proper vehicle number.

The reason for the apparent discrepancy in the sequential production numbers is that your car is a factory "renumbered" car. That is, it was produced originally as a 23rd series 1949 model and remained unsold when the 1950 models were announced. So rather than have it sold as a leftover, Packard issued a renumbered patent plate with a 1950 model number. You can find all the details in the Robert Neal book.

Posted on: 2017/8/15 8:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
boydlcoomer for including your '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Looks good!

Posted on: 2017/8/15 17:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2017/8/15 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
What is the name of the Bob Neal book you are referring to? It sounds like a good reference to have. Thx

Posted on: 2017/8/15 23:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Book name is "Packard 1948 To 1950". Go to the Packard Bookshelf from the main menu and you'll find more info.

Posted on: 2017/8/16 8:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I belive Dwight Heinmuller is the exclusive agent for the book. You can order it directly from him athttp://www.packardparts.org/products/books or he also sells thru Amazon.

Posted on: 2017/8/16 8:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved