Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 136

Ernie Vitucci, DM37, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard-Henney hearse in a movie
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I was just going through the movie listings and came across a movie on IFC called "The Hearse". It features what appears to be a 1952 P-H hearse in full regalia. Of course, seeing as the synopsis says " a teacher, recieving a will from her aunt, is stalked by a Packard hearse" I just HAD to watch it. So far it seems to be pretty "B", however, you will recognize a few of the actors, Dennis Quaid being one of them.

Posted on: 2010/10/7 1:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard-Henney hearse in a movie
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I'm fairly certain that my body style and frame (127" Cavalier/Patrician) was the base for the ambulance, hearse, and limo versions of the Packards (for my body style and year). Despite the almost constant maintenance I have to do to keep my Polly on the road (it seems that I have to do SOMETHING on her every two to three weeks), I thoroughly enjoy my baby. I actually wouldn't mind finding a P-H limo sometime in the near-distant future! Fairly soon here, I will undertake the endeavor to keep my 57 Super Clipper on the road as well. Anything worth doing....! Thanks again to all of you and your comments and responses. I would be like a babe in the woods without you!

Scott

Posted on: 2010/10/7 2:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have an acquaintance whose daily driver for many years was a former Navy ambulance. Same model as this except for color and being military, no fancy accessories. Pretty much same vehicle as the hearse but not quite decorated the same.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=424&cid=79 andhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=744&cid=79 A now retired Navy officer, he bought the car -minus the siren and lights- at one of the surplus auctions and had the battleship gray color changed. Served him well for a long time making a couple of cross country trips in the early 90's while he was still on active duty and moving to another base. Said it holds more than any station wagon could--and the stretcher came in handy for naps. He still has it and drives occasionally.

Posted on: 2010/10/7 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Looks like a cool car stuck in a bad "flick."

Attach file:

jpg  (18.35 KB)
1928_4cade927f17ca.jpg 325X451 px

Posted on: 2010/10/7 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
This Thread has brought back many memories. Years ago when I was 19 I bought a 1953 Henney JR Ambulance. It was originaly grey but was painted a almost Air Force Blue. I was told it was X Air Force and it came from Texas as it still had a 1959 sticker on the windshield from there.( I really suspect it was Navy as most of thenm were Grey I think) It had an overdrive tranny and had lots of chrome. I drove it to see this bad movie when it came out back in the 80's. Whe we left the drivein I was following a small station wagon and in the movie you would see the grille in the rear view mirror then you were dead. Well I turned my lights on and a kid of about 10 was in the back of the wagon in front of us. The look of terror in his eyes when he saw it was the same grille from the movie. I still laugh about that.

This ambulance was a daily driver for many years for me, and ironicly I worked at the very last facility that a 53 Jr was used in Military service. That was at Boeing Wichita. The old timers from there would stop me now and then and ask if it was the old Boeing Amb. I would tell them no. That one which was in service for 20 years ending in 1973, after that it went straight to the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio.

One odd thing besides the OD, was it was a early 1953 but it had a 1952 Windshield. It was no 13 of that years run. I had two at one time and the second was not near as fancy as No 13.
Both cars still exist as far as I know down by Wellington Kansas.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.66 KB)
1153_4cafc42c718d9.jpg 913X706 px

Posted on: 2010/10/8 20:24
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
That's a pretty cool story, Don. Just think of how few people could possibly be in a position to go and see a movie featuring a Packard hearse IN a Packard hearse! The background info on your car is neat as well. I SO wish that I could get ahold of one of the first two owners of my '53 Cavalier. One of these days I'm going to remove the glove box in hopes that there is still some original paperwork taped in there. I've seen a few threads that stated this was a common place for such things. Fingers are crossed! Thanks again,

Scott

Posted on: 2010/10/8 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I don't care how bad this movie supposedly is (3.6 of 10 on imdb). It's a must-see! Car horror movies are cool just for what they are... Christine of course, and The Car... I'll watch any of 'em... but one with a Packard hearse! I can't believe I missed this one.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 22:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Guy, it really WAS a bad movie! Still and all, I just couldn't help getting a rush everytime there was a scene with the car in it. Almost like seeing my car for the first time... As a matter of fact, that was the only time I've ever seen her move with someone else at the wheel. No-one else has driven my car since I purchased her!

Posted on: 2010/10/21 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

scottie wrote:
it really WAS a bad movie!

Not a problem. It stars a Packard, so it's a good enough for me. Congrats on your cinematic achievement! this has to go in the "Packards in Movies & T.V." thread.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 21:32
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved