Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 198

Phat Jonny, Ozstatman, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Timing???? help
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I have been trying to tune the straight 8 in my '53 Clipper, and I cant seem to get the timing right. It idles ok, but at high RPMs under load it seems to flutter out. I have it set to 0 degrees right now. Would advancing it solve the problem?

Posted on: 2010/10/12 20:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Timing???? help
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Check Packardclub.org that does not sound like the correct setting. I think it should be something like 6 deg

Posted on: 2010/10/12 20:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ye.s, confirming Packard1949's comment, 0 degrees is very severely late; about 6 degrees BTDC is a good starting point though you might want to fine-tune from there a degree or two.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
There appears to be only a 0 mark on the balancer, but with the advice of an old man down the street I advance the timing until it idled rough and then backed it off til it smoothed out. This seems to help a bit, but still doesn't solve the problem completely. Could it be a problem with the vacuum advance? It seems to work fine, but perhaps it doesn't perform as good under load?

Posted on: 2010/10/13 0:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
NEVER seen a front vibration damper on one of those vehicles with just a 0 mark; they typically have a range from about 15 degrees BTDC to a couple of degrees after. I suggest you try cleaning off the old paint which should reveal the individual degree marks.

That failing, you can quite easily establish a 6 degree BTDC mark yourself using the 0 as a reference, assuming the 0 mark is truly TDC. Measure the OD of the damper, multiply by 3.1416 to get the circumference, and divide that by 360. That will give the decimal parts of an inch which represents each degree of rotation. Multiply that by 6, and mark off the distance from the 0 and you have a point for 6 degrees BTDC.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 8:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Old thread, but new motor...

I am now putting a 180hp 327 into my car. Is 6 degrees BTDC still a good start for this motor? This one has all the timing marks on the damper...

Thanks in advance!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/11 0:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes, 6 degrees BTDC is still the best starting point. If you haven't already, you should download the Service Manual located here.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 1:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"There appears to be only a 0 mark on the balancer..."

I don;t know about the 53 engines but my 2262 (1948 288cid) has timing marks that are very UNacceptable faint. There has been atleast one other report of faint timing marks too at this forum recently. More fine eng'ring from the master engine builders of PMCC.

Need to clean the area around the "0" mark and inspect closely.

Disconnect the vacuuum advance and draw on the vacuum dashpot with lung power to see if it is working or not.

Posted on: 2012/1/11 9:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved