Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Packard Super Custom Clipper Battery Hold Down
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
Where can I find a photo of an original battery hold down for 1947 Packard Super Custom Clipper? Are these being reproduced? Thanks

Posted on: 2010/10/15 8:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Packard Super Custom Clipper Battery Hold Down
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The battery retainer for the 'long skinny' battery (group# 4.00073, part# 373007) was used from 1941 through 1950. There were literally hundreds of thousands made. They show up on eBay frequently and are available used from Kanter Bros, Max Merritt and probably other vendors. The price varies wildly so I'd shop around.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.08 KB)
188_4cb85f7b4ee5c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/15 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
When I bought my 1950 Packard Series 23 it was missing the battery hold-down. I bought a repro one from Ebay for about $40 and installed it. The repro one looks different than the original one shown in the picture.
Later I found other ones for sale on Ebay at much lower prices and with several different designs. Some look original.
Recently I got a bunch of Packard used parts from a guy who made his car into a street rod. An original battery holder was in the pile, so I cleaned it up and painted it to go on the car back to the original look. Then I found out it was slightly too small to fit the NAPA battery in my car. It misses by maybe 1/8 inch or less. Since steel does not stretch much I will have to wait till this battery gets replaced.
This is just advice to measure the length and width of the battery with care and be sure you get the holder that fits.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 9:51
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Fred Puhn wrote:
...This is just advice to measure the length and width of the battery with care and be sure you get the holder that fits.

Good advice. Remember that Buick, and I think some other GM vehicles, used a narrow battery and the retainers from those vehicles may be different. The retainer on my 23rd series (original) fit my NAPA battery fine; if anything, the retainer is a tad too long (the NAPA battery I bought is apparently slightly shorter than the original).

Posted on: 2010/10/15 9:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BCI lists the maximum dimensions of a Group 2E at 19-7/16 long x 4-1/8 wide by 9-1/8 high.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
I found this photo and cropped it . . is this the correct hold down?
Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (51.44 KB)
1936_4cb87a77987b9.jpg 800X383 px

Posted on: 2010/10/15 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
No, I don't think that's correct. The Packard retainer has the holes centered not offset as your picture shows.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I have had the same problem with replacement batteries being too wide for the hold down to fit. I removed the two long straps from the inside of the end caps and reattached them to the outside of the end caps on the hold down. I have shown my bathtub Packards since 1981 at PAC national meets and at AACA national meets never had points deducted for the modification. It is just a idea.

Posted on: 2010/10/16 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan Phenicie
See User information
I went to an old junkyard yesterday, I retrieved this from a 1948 22nd series 2262, do any of the current crop of reproduction battery retainers have this detail? Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (61.27 KB)
1936_4cbeeaca5ea5a.jpg 480X400 px

Posted on: 2010/10/20 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My repro battery holder looks very different than your photo. That old one in the photo looks like my "original" one. It is a better design than the repro one too.

Posted on: 2010/10/20 10:07
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved