Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

Jimmyk, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spark Plugs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Which spark plugs work best for 1948 Packard Super Eight Convertible ? Is there a top brand? or are they all basically good?

Posted on: 2010/11/4 9:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark Plugs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've always had good success with AutoLite plugs which can be purchased at any good auto parts store. They have the added advantage of black-oxide shells which are correct for the era if that means anything to you. Cadmium-plated shells are usually noted in high-end judging and points deducted.

Assuming you still have 10mm plugs (many of those heads were drilled and tapped later for 14mm plugs), I believe the current AutoLite # is 3136, but you can check that out on the AutoLite plug site which gives plug recommendations for Packard back to 1929 or so.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 10:16
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm using AC plugs, and you can still find the non-resistor types at agricultural/tractor supply stores.

Moving this topic to the Post-War forum....thanks.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 11:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
What is the correct spark plug gap for a 1948 Packard Super Eight Convertible ?

Posted on: 2010/11/5 18:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
0.028"

Posted on: 2010/11/5 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Is it true that the earth wire on the 1948 super eight is live? Does this cause any problems when you have flat battery and you want to jump start?

Posted on: 2010/11/7 15:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Gary Marshall wrote:
Is it true that the earth wire on the 1948 super eight is live? Does this cause any problems when you have flat battery and you want to jump start?

The ground (earth) wire is positive (+) It will cause no problem jump starting (boosting) if you remember to put the boosting battery positive cable (+) on the ground cable terminal (+) of the flat battery.

Posted on: 2010/11/7 19:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I've always had good success with AutoLite plugs which can be purchased at any good auto parts store. They have the added advantage of black-oxide shells which are correct for the era if that means anything to you. Cadmium-plated shells are usually noted in high-end judging and points deducted...

I have found a neat trick to make the new-type Cadimium-plated spark plugs look like those of yesteryear. Color the metal part with a black Sharpie. The coloring is permanent and after a few heating and cooling cycles takes on a nice original looking color. You're welcome.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/8 11:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved