Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
261 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 260

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ticking Noise in 1953 327 eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Pumps, turbines, and other high class rotating machinery that don't have space for a labyrinth seal often use a face seal like Packard used on the straight eights. This gives a static seal on the shaft itself, and a hydrodynamic seal on the housing. The seal rotates with the shaft and is spring loaded against the housing.

The only problem I encounter with the Packard system is that most of the new cork sealing rings that come with gasket sets fit too snugly on the hub of the damper and won't slide forward under the available spring pressure to contact the timing chain cover. A couple minutes with some rolled-up sandpaper takes care of this. I then glue the ring to the old holder, grease it up and install.

I've installed several dozen with no problem.

A mixture of components from pre and post 51 cam drives, ie wide and narrow timing chain components might leave the seal hanging in midair, but you can look in and see that before the damper is slid on.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 4:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Mine wouldn't fit over the damper AT ALL until i did as you recommended. Sanded the bejesus out of it to get it to ride on the balancer, even if a bit snug, then lubed it with assembly lube. All went together well.

I'm assuming that the mixing of components would be a narrow chain with the pre 51 deep cover? All the 50 parts on the 53 motor seemed to go on pretty smooth.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 8:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

pack1948 wrote:
Can a ticking noise that only ocurs on the road, under load and past a certain rpm be attributed to a front oil seal? The noise seems to follow engine speed and is regular. My front seal leaked almost as soon as we put it in. As in my previous forum, I do not think this is related to drive train. This seal is the only obvious thing that is not working properly.

I am now thinking that this sounds like the engine is "pinging" because of too much timing advance, either initial setting or full advance. Try setting the timing back a few degrees and see what happens.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/15 13:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'd like to re-suggest checking for exhaust leaks, since i didn't see a follow up on it. (Engine compartment area, no so much further back under the car) Maybe near the manifold or where the two manifolds join together.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I too, have been contending with a rattling/ticking/light knocking sound from the engine under certain loads and speeds. Turns out I had set the ignition timing too fast (almost 15 deg. BTC). I retarded the timing to 5 deg. BTC and the noise has gone away. Zoom, zoom.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/15 18:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
On the front seal "problem"

I have owned many straight 8's with well over 100,000 miles and while I of course did not own them from new I have enough experience to know that the front seal is not a chronic problem. The identical seal was used by Pontiac from 1933 to 1954 I believe, by Packard 1935-1954 and Cadillac 1937-1948. That's about 50 model years of use and I can assure you that if it were a chronic problem it would have surfaced during those years . It is a simple design not prone to failure.

One "solution" proposed here by Turbopacman seems mainly inspired so as not to pay 3 times the price to a Packard vendor than an auto parts store seal would cost. Seems awfully complicated way, making a ring,precision welding it to the timing cover, enlarging the hole etc etc to save $15. Well beyond the ability of most DIY Packard owners

Calling it a terrible sealing system without supporting information doesn't make it terrible. A modern seal....is it to give better sealing or just another "talking point"?

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/16 23:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Fred, what's so wrong with giving people alternatives?

Posted on: 2010/11/16 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
NOthing wrong with giving Pakard owners alternatives. Here's one: Rip out your problematic, valve burning, between the cylinder cracking, oil leaking and consuming straight 8. While you're at it, remove and chuck the inefficient Ul-Traumatic. Replace with a crate Chevy 350 and a rebuilt Turbo 400 or better soup to nuts for about $2500.

Fantastic perforamnce, 200,000 mile reliability, no greedy Packard parts vendors to contend with. Run it on only 100% American gasoline and fill the carnkcase with onjly 100% American oil.

While you'reat it, 4 wheel discs, ABS, shock absorbing bumpers, air bags and of ocurse a dual master cylinder for safety, side door beams. Voila, you're driving a mid 90's Chevrolet CAprice or Caddy Fleetwood Brougham with 100% American parts......Priceless!!!

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2010/11/17 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If I wanted to own a Cadillac I would have bought one.

And if you think you can find a mid 90's Chevy or Cadillac that is 100% American made then you're off your rocker more than I thought.

ANYONE who knows me on here knows that I'm 120% for keeping the original engine and 120% for keeping the Ultramatic transmission. When people ask about the kits to convert to the modern Chrysler 727 trans I try to talk them out of it. One thing that I won't talk someone out of is the commons sense approach of making their cars safer. I suggest you get to know people around here a little more before attacking them, unless you have an ulterior motive for being here which I'm starting to suspect.

As for the seal question, I've already stated that it would be difficult to do, and that we're pretty much stuck with what we have. Just because I don't like the looks of something doesn't mean you need to be up my arse about it on every move.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 14:09
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The name calling is starting to grate my last nerve. If I have to start putting certain users on moderated postings, or show them the door I will.

Clean it up, or I will. Last conversation I am going to have about it.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 14:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved