Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 246

BigKev, Marvin, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Oil Line Restrictor?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D --- Thanks for the suggestions. One friend here made the same suggestion about the too thick plate gasket when I was experiencing the loss of pressure problem. I believe the pump is so close to the recommended pressure, that I will probably leave well enough alone.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/11/16 13:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the pump is so close to the recommended pressure, that I will probably leave well enough alone.

Seems a prudent course of action.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
JW

Owen & I fussed with the oil pressure today.

When I bought the car, I had two garages work on commissioning it. The first one was initially enthusiastic about the work, but as things developed I had the work continued by another establishment. In the process, we have found three fluid levels that were supposedly checked and replenished but were way too low.

I have put several quarts of oil in the engine over the last week and it is finally about 1/8" away from the "F" mark. There is no lower mark on a 356 dipstick and what looks like a quart under to me seems to be much more. I have checked it a few times, but have also paid for an oil change .... This helped the pressure , of course, and the pressure climbs more rapidly than before.

Having figured this out, we put a mechanical gauge on the engine when it was warm, not hot. 40 lbs at idle and 52 at a higher speed. This translates to just under and just over 40 lbs on the dash gauge. A replacement sending unit I have was calibrated very differently so we put the original Borg WArner unit back on after cleaning up the electrical connections and housing

When I got it hot again it was just at or slightly under an indicated 40 lbs at "road speed" on the dash gauge. We feel better about the crankshaft and the pressure in general.

One fine day next spring I'll take the end plate off the pump and make sure the gasket is thin enough and that end plate is smooth

Regards

John Harley

EDIT. It was the other Stewart "brother", Stewart, not Borg

Posted on: 2010/11/20 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Pics on how the oil routing with gauge came out over in the other thread:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5963&start=80

Posted on: 2010/11/21 12:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved