Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

Packardbarry, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Lifters? Help please!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Does any one know if say a Hudson 6 lifter could be used or are the sizes all wrong?

Posted on: 2012/1/31 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Packard hydraulic lifters starting with the 1940 Super Eight and ending in 1954 were made by Wilcox-Rich. The only other US car that I'm aware of that used this type of Wilcox-Rich lifter was the flathead Cadillac 346 engine and though they are very similar, I don't believe they interchange.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
While on the subject, does anyone know the cold lash setting for a 288 with solid lifters? It is impossible to set the lifters hot and running when the engine is being assembled out of the car.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 0:07
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Dude
See User information
I always set the intake .001" bigger (.008"), and the exhaust .002" bigger (.012") when cold. That allows for expansion. The exhaust valve runs hotter and that's why the extra .001" over the intake.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 1:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Fred, I adjusted the tappet clearances on my 115C by warming up the engine to operating temperature (after jacking up the front of the car, placing it on jack stands, removing the RF tire and inner fender panel, and tappet covers). Then, with the engine still warm adjusted two cylinders, re-ran the engine and adjusted two more cylinders, and continued until I had them all adjusted. I set them to standard clearance. I used a "Go-No Go" feeler gauge. I found this a better way to do the job than trying to do this with the engine running. Also, more accurate than doing the job on a cold engine. Still, not a lot of fun, but better than the other methods, in my opinion.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/1 10:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed, JW. Probably the most practical way and doing them hot; whether running or not, this gives a much better result than doing them cold with an added correction factor for the cold vs. hot.

Various publications provided charts of just which specific valves could be done in the same engine position. If I run across one in the next few days I'll add it to this post.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 11:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The only advantage of doing them cold is you eliminate the the possibility of burning the bejesus out of yourself when adjusting #4/#5 valves from the hot manifold.

A little easier on the later engines as you only need two wrenches instead of three.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 12:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Flathead Dodge and Plymouth lifters can be used in the 288/327 engines and are readily available. The diameter of the mushroom must be ground down considerably to not hit the casting webs in a Packard. Ends up being easier to find a set of real Packard solids.

I've used a couple of sets of the new Kanter hydraulic lifters with perfect success and know of two other sets in happy usage. And here I was under the impression that Packard was a production line automobile like all the rest. Was not aware they had been deified.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 14:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, I have heard of the adjustment procedure you mentioned. You can also follow the firing order, having to rotate the crankshaft only two turns. I prefer to go from front to back (i.e., #1, #2, #3, #4, etc.).

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/1 17:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I prefer not to do it at all!

Seriously, I've been procrastinating for a while and it's past time for a valve adjustment on my 34 eight and even with low fenders (sidemounts removed), that's no fun either, though probably easier than some as the engine can idle nicely at very low rpms.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 17:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved