Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 120B Water Pump Removal HELP!!!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
I am trying to remove the waterpump from my 1936 120. I can't seem to reach the bottom bolt to remove the pump. The shaft is shot and it needs to be rebuilt.

I appreciate help guiding me through this. I was going to remove the bracket below it but I believe it is the front motor mount??? Please help.....

Thanks,
John H. Upstate New York

Posted on: 2010/11/27 11:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 120B Water Pump Removal HELP!!!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Ahhhh, an easy question with hopefully no controversy. The bracket you refer to is the front motor support. In the top middle is a 2 inch rectangular plate with two bolts, under the plate is a rubber motor mount insulator and behind
teh motor support is another identical mount.

Over the past 74 years the rubber has softened and deteriorated causing the motor assembly to fall about 3/4", interfering with the removal of the water pump.

Jack the motor up just a bit on the oil pan with a suitable wood block, the bolt for the wp will be accessible. Order a pair of front motor mounts, install by removing the 2 bolts, rectangular plate and loosening the formt motor support to frame bolts. Pry the motor support forward, remove back mount and install new one. Re assemble, put your rebuilt WP on and be sure to add WP lube to the radiator.

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done and write to Packard, E Grand Boulevard, Detroit about those motor mounts which should have lasted longer.

Fred Kanter

Posted on: 2010/11/27 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
This will only be appredciated by those who have been following recent goings-on

To Fred Kanter:

Are you really Fred Kanter, if you answer yes, how can we be sure? If we're sure, how can we really be really sure?

I heard that Packards do not really exist, they're only Urban Legends. After all they "say" they were made in Detroit which of course is urban.

This post has a subversive message, Packards all had Corvair engines in the back and were air cooled, had no water pump!! And you told us WE didn;t know what we were talking about.

I placed this question under a fake name just to trap you!!

I approve this message.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
You forgot the part about the 1955-56 models having "Air Shocks"

Posted on: 2010/11/27 12:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
To All

I don't know if he is Fred Kanter or not but I thought the Packard was a Crosley on Steroids

Actually, Fred I appreciate your help very much. I found it to work just fine. Even if your not Fred Kanter you're ok in my book..

Thanks to all,
From John Harrington of Malta, N.Y. and I really am him!

Posted on: 2010/11/27 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Fred Kanter said Quote:
This will only be appredciated by those who have been following recent goings-on

Do you know what alot of us long time members DON'T appreciate Fred? Dragging cheap, silly fighting that took place in one thread, into another.

Why can't you just let it go? Or are you trying to bait another commenter into a long drawn out pissing match?

Posted on: 2010/11/27 14:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Portland Don,

I do appreciate your point of view and comments. What went on in other forums was not initaited by me, I did not fire the first "shot". In fact it was deliberate misrepresentations of our company and our products that drew me to the site via a comment from an employee.

In my opinion, had the long time members been diligent and taken care of the miscreants I would never have had to make my forceful and truthful comments. They were effective, I rest my case on that.

As far as what I put in this forum, it is comic relief from the continuing outrageous remarks. Don't like to read any more, stand up and be counted or I will stand up for myself and anyone else maligned undeservedly.

"In life there are those who do and those who tell you how you should have done it"

Posted on: 2010/11/27 15:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

another German
See User information
PackardInfo is a tremendous database even to non-Packard owners. A year I enjoyed it as secret admirer. Thank you very much! But now there is something very wrong with it.

Rowdy is not great enough
and Turbo half-truth
and to DEP5 one had to be a bit strident
and Packard-V8 has not read the posts carefully
and Portland Don as well as all other longtime members have to be more diligent.

Who will be the next in line, dazzled by this glaring light?

Stop it now!

M. G.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 16:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok. This will be the final word on this. No more of the who said what, or who got their ego's bruised crap. If I wanted to break up school yard fights, I would have got a job as a proctor at the local elementary school.

There is an art to helping people and providing "gentle" constructive correction where need be, coming in both fists swinging is just going to turn the conversation hostile. Also continually stirring the pot to seem what drama shakes out has no place here either. This applies to everyone regardless of length of membership or status in the community.

Packards were built for Gentlemen, by Gentlemen. So I expect everyone to act like Gentlemen. If not, said people will have there posts moderated (where I have to approve every post they make) or be removed. Habitual offenders will be asked to find a new playground.

I've tried to be a pretty open moderator, and let the conversations shake out as they may, but now it's an everyday occurrence of crap that I am having to deal with. I would rather shutter the website, than have to wade through all this drama everyday.

So lets get back to talking about Packards, without all the snide comments and backbiting. If you can't control yourself, then please don't post. If you have a beef with someone, then take it up in an email or PM with that person. The forums here are not the playground for that.

John H sorry to interrupt your thread, but I could see where it was already getting corrupted.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 17:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
I was unaware of the fact that any members of this forum were having issues with each other. I am one (as you can tell) that likes to have fun once in a while, but not a the expense of another.

Having said this "I do" appreciate all of the very generous help and guidance in owning a beautiful Packard. I have worked on quite a few (no expert though) cars over the years and they all have their little nuances. It always makes life much easier if you have someone who knows what they are tlaking about to guide you through with a project.

I want to thank everyone for the help and expertise.

John H. of Malta, NY

Posted on: 2010/11/28 6:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved