Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

noisy differential
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I have a 1948 Super 8 sedan that has a annoying whine. I have replaced the non working overdrive transmission thinking that was the cause. There was no improvement on the noise level. It sure is nice to have a working overdrive. I have a differential out of a 1950 automatic I want to install. How can I determine the gear ratios of each? If the ratios are not the same how will it affect my speedometer reading? Thanks for a great site and your help.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 0:06
 Top  Print   

Re: noisy differential
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Not 100% sure about '48, but I would think a Packard with OD installed would have a 4.1 up to a 4.55 rear end. The ultramatic rear end is probably a 3.54. If you can find a competent mechanic to examine the rear, he should be able to determine if it is worn and what is required to repair it.
I wouldn't install a 3.54 rearend. It may require a different universal joint and that would cause you other problems.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 1:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Another point about installing a 3.54 rear is that in overdrive, you will have a final drive of about 2.5 to 1. Had that in my 50 Super years ago and had to kick down on many hills. 4.1 or even 3.9 work OK, especially with the 327.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 5:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have a 1948 2262 complete chassis (with stick trans) here if u want tot buy or trade me out of the axle. Not sure of it's compatibility with your super 8. I'm still learning the 22 series cars. I'm 30 miles west of Nashville Tn.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 9:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rather than install another used unit, why not consider rebuilding your current differential. Often, especially if it hasn't run enough miles to damage the pinion and ring, new bearings and adjustment is all that's required, though unless you want to try it yourself, you'll want someone familiar with setting up the tooth contact to do that work.

I think a 3.54 with stick/OD would be a poor choice.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll agree with Owen. If the gears are good then about all that will be needed are bearings. That way when completed u know what u got. gOOD BEARINGS. Good gears. That's about all there is to it.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 9:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Personal preference here:
I prefer very long ration axles. Like a 2.99 or 3.11. ESPECIALY for long stroke slow turning engines like streight 8's. The long ratio coupled with the overdrive should give at least close to adequate for hi speed I'state operation of 65-70 mph.

Example: My 48 Chief is real easy to change final drive ratios. Stock from factory was 4.07. I changed sprocket to get 3.60. With a 4-1/2 stroke engine and a 3 speed trans it makes it much better for speeds above 55 mph.

It really needs something closer to a 3.11 ratio. I have no very low speed pulling problems with it at all. It's just not a dragster or rubber burner from a standing start. Normal Civilized operation of the bike at very low speeds and acceleration is most acceptable.

Axle ratio choices solely depend on how and where u want to drive them.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Is there a way to determine the gear ratio without disassembling and counting the teeth?

Posted on: 2010/12/7 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have never done this but have heard/read if you jack up one rear wheel and watch how many turns the drive shaft takes for one turn of the wheel you can roughly determine the ratio. Mark the wheel and drive shaft locations, turn the wheel, watch how many times the drive shaft turns for one turn of the wheel, and divide that number by 2. Someone please check me on this.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/12/7 11:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The ratio is stamped on the pumpkin, but you will need a good wire brush to find it. Look at the circle of bolts that holds the pumpkin in the housing. Its usually near the ten or eleven o'clock position.

Posted on: 2010/12/7 12:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved