Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

53 Cavalier Self-Parker
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I am very interested in a '53 Cavalier 'Self-Parker'. Is that a real feature of the car and, if so, how does it work?

referenced in a picture here:

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Packard/1950.html

Posted on: 2010/12/20 17:16
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Cavalier Self-Parker
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information

Posted on: 2010/12/20 17:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
This is why I am totally awed by the engineering marvels that Packard owners have to enjoy. Think if they could've survived into the future, we might have had flying cars by now

Posted on: 2010/12/20 20:44
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was hoping Randy or one of the well versed guys would fill in the blanks. Randy had posted on it a little and supplied the pictures. I vaguely remember some history but not enough to say for sure. Don't think it was anything Packard did to develop--but more an inventor tinkerer type. Don't remember if it was done alone or if there was any corporate support from anyone.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 20:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
HH56 and Randy, thanks for the pictures and info. Just looking at them made my mind go off into 'why I love these cars mode'.

HH56..I hope you're donig ok with all that rain.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 21:11
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for good thoughts on the rain. So far, things are very damp but otherwise OK locally. Much worse further south. The old rhyme -- rain rain go away -- does comes to mind though.

Bad thing is, according to weatherman, when it goes away it will be heading your way in the form of snow.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 22:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That Cavalier is currently at the Frick mansion in Point Breeze - a suburb of Pgh. The mechanism was installed on the Packard - not developed by them. Memory says that same mechanism was also installed in a Caddy, approx the same year but I don't have any facts to back that up. It does work - allowing you to pull the front end into a parking place and then by use of the mechanism, swing the rear end into place. Parallel parking is a lost art and I could envision some witless driver swinging the rear end into a parking meter and damaging the rear quarter. It was ingenious, but unnecessary.

Posted on: 2010/12/20 23:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
At the time Randy posted his pics and this thread I had found a video showing this device in action on the Packard and put a link to it into Randy's thread. Unfortunately the link now doesn't work and I can't find it again, if my failing memory serves me right it was on a French automobile site of all places. However I did find this -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhAJ5ErGGd8 maybe this will suffice for the time being?

Posted on: 2010/12/21 4:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Thank you all, I am happy to know that what seemed to be a perplexing automation was accomplished so easily. I know it is a unnecessary feature.

I'll wait here in Colorado for the snow to hit

Bob

Posted on: 2010/12/21 6:03
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Once you described the self parking device I remembered seeing it before, in a magazine article from the early 50s. It was in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science. The inventor mounted 2 dolly wheels under the back of a car so they could be deployed by a hydraulic or electrical mechanism. The wheels were placed so as to rub against the rear tires when down. By shifting the car into gear, the rear of the car moved sideways.

It was not invented by Packard but by an individual who hoped to sell his invention to the auto industry. I believe he made it available as an aftermarket accessory. Possibly Packard tested it, or someone had it installed on his own.

Packard also experimented with a radar self braking mechanism. It was meant to apply the brakes automatically in an emergency. The trouble is it would slam on the brakes with a screech if anything got within 30 feet of the front of the car, another car, a pedestrian, a lamp post as you turned a corner, a garbage can, anything. They discarded the idea after a testing it and finding the idea unworkable.

*Update*

After looking at the pictures, it seems the car in question uses a different system than the one I saw in the magazine. The one on the 53 Packard seems to involve a movable spare tire, belt driven by who knows what.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 13:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved