Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Torque converter rebuild question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
As I read this it appears that there are two sizes on the 23/24th series. There is an 11 3/4" clutch and a 11 1/4" clutch mentioned in the service bulletin. Would my replacement need to be exact? The part number shown on the attachment above shows only one part number (421940) for the 1950. I am really confused...

Posted on: 2011/1/2 17:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For whatever reason, the 11? did not stay in service very long in the 23rd series before it was replaced with the 11?. No idea how many Ultras were made in 23rd series but at #2066, the 11? clutch plate was replaced. There were a couple of bulletins re direct drive not releasing quickly. Some rework that could be done to the clutch plate to help the situation was provided to the dealers so that may have something to do with it. At any rate, for all practical purposes the 11? and the 9 were the two main versions installed.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
My thought is that mine is probably the 11 3/4 one. I am thinking somewhere I was told that it is an early car. BUT, I hope it's the more common one, I sure would like to have my beautiful old car back!

Posted on: 2011/1/2 19:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Mine was an 11 3/4 one but i was advised by Kanter that a 11 1/4 disc would work. I put an NOS 11 1/4 disc i found on ebay/here in tonight, the whole assembly went together without a hitch.

If you yank your disc out and send it to kanter and want an 11 1/4 disc, they have them in stock and they'll send yours right away. If you want your 11 3/4 disc relined, then you'll have to wait a couple weeks.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Sorry, I am away and have not been paying attention. OK, I remember now: late convertors will bolt to all flywheels. Early style convertors will only bolt to early flywheels. The only real difference is that the drain plugs face forward on earlies, and to put an early convertor onto a late flywheel you have to drill the two drain plug access holes. I'd go for a late convertor--they finessed those things every year and the reported torque multiplication of the late ones was much greater than the early ones.

Posted on: 2011/1/4 3:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved