Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

brake light switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
I was wondering if anyone can help me about a brake light switch problem,
i was looking at that this afternoon under my `54 clipper, bcz i thought it was a adjustable one, unfortunaly it`s not, it seems i have to brake real hard before the brake lights pop on. could this be due the brakelight switch or powerbrake isnt working correctly? i have to step on it with 2 feet and the pedal hardly goes down. so like the Add.. ask the man who owns one longer

Posted on: 2011/1/2 14:38
 Top  Print   

Re: brake light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have to step with 2 feet to get the brakes to apply, you have a problem with the power brakes and need to get it fixed quickly. If brakes are OK with just light foot pressure and just need more to turn the brake lights on, then the switch most likely just needs replacing. The switch on yours is hydraulic and non adjustable. Is item 4.1646 at end of power brake unit. 2 terminals and some cross reference numbers are in the Parts X-refhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/parts/index.php?cat=7&catname=BRAKES that your parts stores there should be able to find.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.84 KB)
209_4d20d8ab4e5a4.jpg 514X354 px

Posted on: 2011/1/2 14:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Thanx HH56, i will replace the switch and see what happens then, the brakes work with one foot tho, only i dont know what is normal, the brake pad feels rock hard when u step on it, but with a little pressure u hit the windscreen. and the brake lights dont work wih normal braking, only when u step on it hard (standing still) to avoid windscreen contact. so i will try the switch first before taking the master apart. can u replace the switch just like that, or do i have to drain the brake fluid first?

Posted on: 2011/1/2 15:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The switch can usually be replaced without losing too much fluid and doesn't need to be drained. There is a residual valve in the brake unit that keeps a little pressure on the wheel cylinders even when brakes are off. When the switch is replaced, the springs in the cylinders will retract that little bit of fluid and that should be all that comes out. That bit of fluid should also keep any air from getting in. Just move fairly quickly and be careful not to let fluid get on the paint. Once the switch is replaced, check the fluid level and fill, start car and pump it a couple of times and check again.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 15:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
OK thanx, lets hope that solves the brake light problem, if not, there should be another problem, like not building up the right amount of pessure, in that case.... hmm dont want to think about that now, lets start with that little switch.
thanx again!

Posted on: 2011/1/2 15:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Does anyone know if this switch would fit?
i cant seem to get contact with any other shop, or the add to cart button didnt work

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/63070/10002/-1

Posted on: 2011/1/3 16:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just go to your local NAPA and pick one up. It's an ECHLIN SL-134. Pretty common switch. Lot's of different 50s and 60s cars used it.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 16:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That Jegs switch should work. You should be able to find something at your local parts store. It's a standard normally open switch. The thread into the brass fitting is 1/8 pipe and the connectors on back are .156 or 4mm bullet style connectors.

The 1/8 pipe thread size is the important part. Connectors can be changed if necessary. Volkswagen used a three terminal switch (with different connectors) that fits and works with Torsion Level 55-6 Packards so maybe they also used a 2 terminal switch in other years that would work and bought locally there. The three terminal would work -- just need to identify the two that are the normally open set.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 16:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Are you running Dot3 or Dot4 brake fluid OR are you using silicone? Silicone brake fluid somehow gets past the seal in the brake switch and corrodes the electrical terminals.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 17:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Well i live in the Netherlands, NAPA stores are hard to find (read none) and specialy for American classics, i have to order all stuff from the States, i dont know yet what kind of brake fluid they have put in, i bought this Packard 2 weeks ago, maye its a good idea to flush the system also and poor in some fresh brake fluid.

I will go for the Jegs one then, wasnt sure the threat was ok, but if it is i can surely use it.

Thanx

Posted on: 2011/1/3 17:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved