Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

jimw, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: brake light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Silicone brake fluid is a purple color. I think it's an outside chance that is what you have but it wouldn't hurt to check.
If you do have silicone and want to put in Dot3 or Dot4, be aware that just blowing or draining out the old fluid is not sufficient. You must flush it completely with alcohol and disassemble the master and wheel cylinders and wash them thoroughly with alcohol and also push alcohol thru the steel brake lines. This will take some time and diligence, but must be done thoroughly.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 21:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Today i flushed the brake lines, i dipped my finger into the brakefluid resevoir and found some peices of jelly sticking to my finger, thats no good, maybe they switched from dot 5 to dot 4 without cleaning the system first.
well i cleaned it fully with alcohol, and filled it up with fresh dot 4, now the brakes work perfectly, except the brakelight, its prolly stuffed with that jelly.. i`m still waiting for that switch to arrive. but i`m glad the brakes dont feel like a rock anymore.

Posted on: 2011/1/9 13:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Is it Toast. Thanks for the posts about this brake switch.
Didn't realize you can get them at NAPA. Can anyone tell me if these switches can take 12 volts ? I converted my 1950 over and now the brake lights don't work. Interestingly enough .. The switch is hot .. when I hit the brakes it completes 12v connection but the brake lights don't come one. If I short the switch the lights come on.

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2011/1/10 7:10
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
Hi otgdy, well the switch have to work with 12v also, my clipper is also converted to 12v, the switch doesnt contain any electrical parts, just brass contacts. Something could block the hole of the switch, ( that`s what my problem was) try to take it out and clean the switch with alcohol and blow the hole dry with some air pressure, when it still doesnt work, a renewal of the switch will do the job.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 10:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's a hydraulic/mechanical switch, so it doesn't really care about voltage in the typically automotive ranges (6v/12v). It's items like light bulbs, motors, and items with electronic components (capacitors, resistors, coils, etc) that are voltage sensitive.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 12:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Hmmm. How do you explain the tests?
Swith works Tail lights don't
Hotwire switch tail lights work ?

OTG

Posted on: 2011/1/10 12:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume you mean just connecting the wires together at the switch when you say hotwire. If so, probably a high enough resistance in the switch that just can't pass enough current for the lights.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 14:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Yes your right about the hot wire. The brakes were working fine until I changed the battery (to 12V) lights etc. I am going to replace the switch again (was new). Wondering if I should put a relay around the switch and an inline resistor to limit the current.

OTG

Posted on: 2011/1/10 14:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wondering if I should put a relay around the switch and an inline resistor to limit the current.

No reason to, the same switches were originally used in both 6-volt and 12-volt cars. The same switch Packard used up thru 1954 (Echlin SL-134) was used for Ford products thru 1965 at least.

Posted on: 2011/1/10 14:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Well the new switch did the trick. Interesting how the old switch checked out the way it did. Guess it was excessive resistance after all. Thanks for the NAPA part number. Got a great deal and got to install it last night. Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2011/1/11 6:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved