Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1947 Packard- NO START! Maybe too cold?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Wow, 15w-40 is not winter oil. That is hot weather oil.

Using that stuff is sure to damage the motor.

The Packard Manual stipulates 10w plus 10% kerosene for such low temperatures. Translation: 0w-20.

Here is another tip from the manual that I always seem to forget:

Depress the clutch pedal in cold weather to release the motor from thick transmission oil.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 19:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Tim, Sorry if I misled you and thanks for the advice but notice in my posting that I also stated I was just kidding! My Packard has been put away for the winter since October still with the 15w40 but I have no intention of starting it until prabably April at the earliest. I use 5W20 synthetic oil in my daily drivers in winter and also have an engine block heater and an electric battery blanket on my car for the cold winter starts. Cheers!

Posted on: 2011/1/24 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Wow! What happened to global warming? We are suffering here in Southern California too. The temperature was down to 69F yesterday and I saw a cloud.
You should come to San Diego for the winter and enjoy the Packard meet in Orange (near Los Angeles) this coming weekend. It is a great show and swaps - all Packard.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 10:47
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Fred, Thanks for the invitation Fred. I am actually booking hotels and b&b's for an upcoming trip to San Francisco to Santa Barbara along the west coast highway in late March. I usually book a holiday in March so I don't have to come back home to the bitter cold days of mid winter. Actually global warming is a reality here. In previous years -35 to -40 lows would run for several weeks at a time when now it only happens one or two days at a time before a mild spell of only -20 or so. Last winter was the mildest on record.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave, taken at their own words, climate experts would have to reply that a mild local winter have nothing to do with their global warming scenario.

BTW In Germany the last two winters were record breakers too. Colder and more snow than the last twenty years. At Christmas we had supply shortages of road salt and snow pushers.

--> another freezing Packard

Posted on: 2011/1/25 17:49
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, be sure to visit the Blackhawk Automotive Museum in Danville, California. It will be on your way. Also, if you go to the Berkeley area visit Fantasy Junction. They are a high end collector car broker and usually have some interesting cars to see. They are across the street from the Pixar facility in Emeryville. There are a couple of car brokers in Dublin (Kasabian, next door to the custom motorcycle builder, Arlin something or another) and in Pleasanton (Speciality something or another). When I lived in the Bay Area I would visit these showrooms from time to time just to appreciate the cars. If you want some names of some Packard folks in the area PM me.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Guscha wrote:
Dave, taken at their own words, climate experts would have to reply that a mild local winter have nothing to do with their global warming scenario.

Guscha, I actually prefer to use the term climate change rather than global warming because indeed it is likely western Europe will likely be colder in the coming years while in Canada statistics from Environment Canada our national weather agency seem to indicate a warming trend.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:51

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, Thanks for the tips. I will be in touch with you before I go. Dave

Posted on: 2011/1/25 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Guscha, I actually prefer to use the term climate change rather than global warming because indeed it is likely western Europe will likely be colder in the coming years while in Canada statistics from Environment Canada our national weather agency seem to indicate a warming trend.

Dave (clipper47), after twelve months it's time for a new field survey.
In 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 we had warm winters in Germany and the talk was about global warming. In 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 Germany had two very cold winters and mountains of snow. The experts came up to our expectations and delivered the scientifically proven theory that global warming means local cooling. Since that time I haven't seen snow. Completely sold out, lost or even buried deeply, however - no snow!
I am prepared for the worst: we will have a new, probably more detailed theory. It seems to be a matter of local warm coldness amidst cold global warming.

How about on your side?

Posted on: 2012/1/17 8:35
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved