Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 253

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

48 49 50 Backup Lights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
Facts before the question:

-Restoring a '48. '48 was a "manual".
-Pulled the motor, trans and steering colum from the '48.
-Pulled the motor, trans and steering colum from a '50 to place into the '48.
-The '50 is an automatic.
-Pulled the Wire Harness from the '50, rebuilding to place into the '48.
-Found the backup Lamp wire running from the lamp, along the frame, to a small switch located on the steering column.
-This switch has 4 wires going to it. I can not find any schematic for this switch.

Does anybody know where the other 3 wires go or where I can find that particular schematic?

Thank you.

Johnny

Posted on: 2011/1/29 23:49
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Re: 48 49 50 Backup Lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Johnny,
to PackardInfo, I'm sure someone knowledgeable and experienced will be along soon who can assist with your questions.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 23:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 4 terminal switch was a late 47 change and used on R9 overdrive cars as a safety to make sure OD could not stay engaged when in reverse. 2 terminals interrupted that power feed and other two for backup light. Was not used when they switched to the R11 OD in 49 --reverted back to the regular two terminal switch-- but might have been on the 48 or dealer had them in stock and replaced an original as a service item.

Back up lights were an option those years so wiring is not shown in the schematics. Usually the power came from the GA or long terminal on the ign switch. Hopefully there is a fuse in the circuit. Packard was not too consistent with fusing things so if you connect to ign switch, would suggest an inline fuse if none there. Assume you have the regular schematics but if not, 22 and 23 series cars are available on site in the wiring part of literature section.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.47 KB)
209_4d44f58cc6e8d.jpg 728X553 px

Posted on: 2011/1/30 0:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Did i assume properly that you have an automatic 1950 parts car?

Selling any parts off that car? I have a small list, and there are others here with ultramatics, sure you could sell those parts off quick if you don't want them.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 9:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
Let me know what you want. I have taken just about everything I need from the car.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 13:27
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
This is great information! Thanks so much!

Now this brings a couple more questions:

Was this switch specifically for overdrive? I have an automatic that I want to put the backup lamp on. If I don't use this switch, how would I wire the backup lamp?

The drawing you supplied shows two terminals for the backup lamp to attach to. The '49 I pulled the backup lamp wire off of was just connected to one of the terminals. Where do the other 3 wires go to?

I guess my main point here is that I have an automatic and I want a backup lamp.

If I end up wiring to GA, how big of a fuse should I use?

Again, thank you so much.

Johnny

Posted on: 2011/1/30 13:54
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The switch was a change for units with R9 OD and was suggested to retrofit if needed. If a governor or something else in part of the wiring shorted, OD would stay engaged. If car placed in reverse while engaged, R-9 OD would lock up and could be damaged. The switch broke the power to the OD when in reverse to force it to drop out if something was wrong. Changing to the R-11 OD in 49 solved that issue so no need for that particular switch again.

The two terminals for the OD are not used in your case, and can just sit there. They won't be live. With the switch at rest, they (OD) are connected together as a normally closed set and back two (Back Up) are normally open. When you select reverse, the front two open up and back two connect together. They are totally independent sets of contacts.

Hook up the back up lights per the schematic here using the two terminals labeled back up light. I would use a 5 amp fuse as that's plenty for a single light. All you're doing is protecting the wiring.

If you want to get the proper switch that was on the 50 Ultra or most R-11 OD cars, one is shown in the picture. Max Merritt has them but a bit spendy to do the same thing you already have. That switch is essentially the same as you have without the two extra terminals.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.27 KB)
209_4d45ca785a2b6.jpg 800X391 px

Posted on: 2011/1/30 15:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
HH56, Your knowledge of Packard and the information and diagrams you so freely provide are amazing! Thank you.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 15:41

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aw shucks. Just a byproduct of being long winded, but thanks.

Posted on: 2011/1/30 17:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Johnny
See User information
This is perfect!! Thank you so much. When I found this switch, I had no idea what to do with it, and now you have made it all so easy. Thank you.

So per your instructions, and per the first diagram I have, posts 1 & 2 to remain empty, 3 & 4 get the wiring for the back-up light.

I took the switch out of my '49, so I am good. And for those following along with the thread, yes, I have a '48, '49 & '50, but restoring the '48 using the'50 for parts. I was going to use the '49 for parts but might just end up restoring that one as well.

Thanks again. Johnny

Posted on: 2011/1/30 17:57
Thank you! Johnny
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved