Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do I get it clean?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
I just pulled the V-8 out of my '55 Clipper and was wondering what is the best way to clean 55 years of oil, grease and dirt off of the engine and transmission. I would like to paint it after I overhaul it so I want to get it spotless. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2011/2/2 20:40
 Top  Print   

Re: How do I get it clean?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Best way is to take the block, heads, etc down to nothing and have them hot tanked at a machine shop, the re-assemble. If you're going to do it quick and dirty (like i did) simple green, parts cleaner, brake cleaner, and a steam washer and hope no one notices that you set the environment back 5 years during the project

Posted on: 2011/2/2 21:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I rented a steam jenny years ago when I had the whole front clip off the car. It did a very thorough job and didn't take long.
You can buy GUNK in a spray can and thoroughly spray the engine and then wash it off with hot water from a highpower hose.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 21:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i took mine to the machine shop...the heads are spotless.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 21:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I've found that a spray de-greaser followed with a pressure washer using detergent works well. Just do it over an area that you don't care if it gets VERY DIRTY. I won't report you to the EPA!
One story about high pressure cleaning. A good farmer friend of mine cleaned his Gleaner combine with a pressure washer after harvest one year. He had it spotless! The next harvest season, he had bearing failure after bearing failure. The implement shop said he had cleaned TOO well with the pressure washer and had forced the grease out of the bearings.
Proceed with caution.......

Posted on: 2011/2/5 14:39
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The farm story is sound advice. I don't know how many times I have repaired damage from sandblasting and steam cleaning.

Don't ever sand blast air cleaners, intakes, oil pans, valve covers, etcetera.

I had the nose off a 56 and used my $10 scrapper from NAPA to carefully chip away the stuff. That took about 2 1/2 hrs. The advantage is that the floor can be covered and the dirt swept up with a broom. Of course everybody thought I was crazy. Well, let them think I am crazy.

After that a wire brush, prep sol and rags. These chemical prices are going through the roof and prep sol from a pump bottle is a lot cheaper and safer than expensive aerosols.

Granted this method is not as "anal" as the more destructive methods, but it is better for car. Getting every lick of dirt from under a car doesn't make it run better.

Good luck all.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I use a syphon type pressure washer that goes on an air hose. You have seen them, they sell them at flea markets for a few $$$ bucks. The kind that sucks the water up out of a bottle.

The secret is to use the hottest water you can get out of the tap. This cleans well but does not drive the water in where you don't want it like a pressure washer.

Scrape and wire brush heavy deposits. Blow off with air. Scrub in some diesel fuel, Gunk or your favorite degreaser. Then wash off with the pressure sprayer.

The hot water comes out like steam and most of it disappears in the air after it hits the motor. I lay an old cardboard box under the motor then throw down an old piece of carpet. This catches all the grease and dirt and nearly all the water. You can do this in the garage and not make a big mess.

This is not as aggressive as pressure washing or steam cleaning so you may have to go over it a few times, before you get all the dirt out of every crack and crevice.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 18:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
I have decided to take cortcomp's advise and strip the engine down and have it hot tanked. I wasn't going to do the bottom end but once I have the heads off it won't take that much more to pull the pistons, crank and cam. That way I can get all that old gunk out of the passages.

Posted on: 2011/2/5 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
You'll be happy...not only will paint stick like a magnet, but you'll know you have fresh everything, the motor should be tight ready to run, AND the cooling passages will be clean as a whistle. Getting rid of the scale and debris helps cooling a lot.

Posted on: 2011/2/6 1:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved