Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: !948 Packard conv. ebay
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

fred kanter wrote:
IN the 22nd series the Eight and Super Eight are on the 122" wheelbase...The last 120" wheelbase car was the 1937 120, I believe

Fred,
I'm pretty sure the 21st, 22nd and 23rd series used the 120" wheelbase for the lower end models. The 122" wheelbase came with the 24th series in '51.

Quote:

JHH wrote:
...In bathtubs the difference in length is in front of the firewall...

I knew that but I guess I didn't consider the likelihood of somebody using the 'body' from a Custom and a front clip from a Super. Based on what Fred says about the convertible bodies all being basically the same I guess it makes sense. I note that if the body is from a Custom, they didn't use the full trunk stainless surround or any of the other Custom rear end bric-a-brac.

Back to the original question; If I use what I paid for my two Packards over the last 6 years (too much for one and more than enough for the other) as a basis, I think NADA is high and some of the other guides may be low.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
You are correct on the wheelbase, 120" and 127" on 22nd/23rd series. Reviewed Specifications in Service Index

Posted on: 2011/2/14 6:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I might have a more realistic chance at buying the 54 conv. that is on Ebay although the seller has the starting bid at $31K. It's a re-list and I don't think the 54 is worth much more than $20K. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/2/15 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I would not even pay $20,000.00 for the 54.It has no options.No PB,No PS,NO power Windows, no power seats and no Radio.The only option it has is Ultramatic and thats more like subtraction by addition. It would be quite a car if it had a three speed with overdrive.

Posted on: 2011/2/15 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I disagree that any of the Scottsdale auctions, B-J, RM etc are in any way representative of real world vintage car prices. I think they are highly inflated due to the TV, ego, and glamour factors surrounding the January auctions there.
I've found Old Cars Price Guide to be the most accurate, in general, with their 6 condition gradations, in 40+ years of old car transactions.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 15:46
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I subscribed to Old Cars Price Guide to get hard to obtain price info when I was hunting for a car. Using data I personally can verify I would not trust the Old Car Price Guide on cars that are rare and sell infrequently. Their prices are impossibly low for rare cars (I wish they were real so I could take advantage of them). I found this publication useless because I have many auction results for more common cars, so I canceled my subscription. I never received a refund either.

Posted on: 2011/2/16 18:53
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
If anything OCPG prices are too high imo, along with ALL of the guides. The market has shifted RADICALLY lower in the last year or 2 and they don't reflect it. Try to sell a car and see what happens. I've sold several cars in the last 12 months, including a quite rare 1958 DeSoto. Look at what cars are selling for in the real world, not at what they bring on the big celebrity auctions. E-Bay prices are usually real world and much lower, and a LOT of those sales never go through. In 2009 I had an MG go well over my reserve by several bids, but the winning buyer turned out to be a fake. It was such a hassle to sort out that I'll never sell a car on eBay again, in fact I'm done with selling cars, period.

The vintage car market is now in a phase of extended decline imo. Too many of us are aging and the younger generation couldn't care less about our old crocks, my own 2 sons in their 20s reflect this, despite being around old cars all of their life. The real world car market reflects this. Price guides at best, are only good for establishing relative values, in any event.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 11:48
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
As far as relative values, most of my relatives are worthwhile, others........

Posted on: 2011/2/25 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The Custom 8 Convertible body had stainless steel panels welded to the tops of the doors and rear quarter panels.

It was beautiful work and set the car apart from the Super which had only the stainless trim strip.

The car in the picture appears to have more than just the trim strips.

I think the Custom 8 body was 2233 and seperate in the parts book because it also had 16 inch wheels.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 22:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved