Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 246

Phat Jonny, BigKev, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine number?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
While tearing down my 352 V-8 for overhaul I discovered a three digit number (338) hand written on the side of the block with either a crayon or paint stick. This same number is on the bottom of each piston as well as the cyclinder number each piston was installed in. Is this three digit number a production number of some sort?

Posted on: 2011/2/13 13:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine number?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi Dave,
I can't help you with the numbers, but that is a very pretty Clipper!

Posted on: 2011/2/13 14:42
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Oh you have the dreaded 338 block! It turns out, those are terrible motors and the cars that they came in were built during a strike and a lot of states have them on the blacklist and won't let them on the road. Sucks that you'll likely have to sell it for a huge loss.

Then again, i'm a fan of that kind of car, i'll take it off your hands very cheap to help you out in your bad luck.

Of course that's all bs, nice car! I wonder if Packard motors were built by one person start to finish and they wrote on the parts? Maybe 338 is a builder or inspector number? Do you know if those parts have ever been out, maybe someone who rebuilt it later wrote on them for some reason?

Posted on: 2011/2/13 16:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
Don't know if the engine was ever overhauled before or not. It just seemed strange to find the number writen on each and every piston. The number on the side of the of the block seemed like it was written after it was painted so it suprised me when I found the same number on the pistons!

Posted on: 2011/2/13 16:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a guess - pistons were selected from an inventory with a range of slight variations from standard size based on hand-fitting to the bore - #s you see might possibily be related to that. Can't say I've ever seen it done in that manner, though I've seen odd numbers stamped on piston heads which I assumed to similarly be an aid in hand-selection.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Owen_Dyneto, Dave - welcome back!

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/13 19:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Davepa.
Does the "338" appear int he ENGINE number and/or Vehicle Number??? TWO seperate numbers here. Engine number NOT to be confused with vehicle number.

I've not seen any such number as your "338" writen inside of any BLOCKS. My pistons have numbers written on them in pencil on the wrist pin bosses.

Posted on: 2011/2/13 22:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

David Packard
See User information
PackardV8, No to your first question, 338 does not appear the VIN for the car. The numbers on the bottom of the pistons are on the wrist pin boss as you said yours are.

Posted on: 2011/2/15 21:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved