Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 137

BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Keegan's Replacement Fuel Tank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Chevrolet donor tank was cleaned up.

Cut of original filler.

Cut the hole (1.75") for the new filler location.

Hopefully this will be ready for a leak test in a day or two.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.86 KB)
550_4d656d71db0c9.jpg 1600X956 px

jpg  (68.29 KB)
550_4d656d7a77817.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2011/2/23 15:28
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

MadDog53 wrote:
What is the approximate price?

The cost is based on how much repair is needed to the tank. My tank does not need any holes fixed, or dents removed. So with labor, parts (the coating), and disposal fees and tax it comes out to about $350. I think the majority of the price is the labor in media blasting and coating the tank. Now that is the price here for the shop in Southern Calif. So it may be cheaper in other places.

Check here for a location near you:

http://www.gastankrenu.com/loc-dealer.htm

Posted on: 2011/2/23 15:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
[/quote]...Now that is the price here for the shop in Southern Calif. So it may be cheaper in other places.

Check here for a location near you:

http://www.gastankrenu.com/loc-dealer.htm[/quote]

Looks like your shop is the closest one to me.

Posted on: 2011/2/23 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Keegan,

Just as a by-the-way suggestion. Some old-car filler tubes are nothing but a piece of rubber hose and a couple of big hose clamps. No real need for much fabrication as long as you leave a piece of straight nipple on the donor tank positioned where you can run the hose to the fuel inlet door, and a piece of the original filler neck to receive the other end of the hose.

I happened across this setup on a '47 Dodge I helped rebuild. Dangdest thing, but I'm pretty sure it was original equipment, and no reason it wouldn't work if the hose is of the right material to resist damage from gasoline.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 23:33
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Used the tig welder to braze the filler tube in place. I used silicon bronze filller to help flow into the joint. I plan to also use some kind of sealant on the welded joint.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.89 KB)
550_4d67341ae24cf.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2011/2/24 23:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Might I suggest #1 (hardening) Permatex for the sealant? Permatex has been very good to me, and you can use the "hardening" type since you won't have any need to allow for disassembly.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 23:57
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rather than an organic sealant which at best will be only semi-permanent, I'd consider grinding the weld to a radiused filet and filling it with tin/lead solder or silver solder.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 9:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC Alcohol will dissolve Permatex.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 9:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If there is no INTERNAL support bracket for the filler tube then a triangular gusset welded to the outside mite be apropo.

Posted on: 2011/2/25 10:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....and no reason it wouldn't work if the hose is of the right material to resist damage from gasoline.

Best hose IMO to use is the same hose that gasoline delivery tankers use to supply filling stations. When I replaced the pleated brass expansion bellows on my 34 Eight filler neck (the brass had become so work-hardened that it was no longer repairable) I used a section of that hose which had a teflon interior liner, pretty much impervious to any common solvents. You can purchase similar hose by the foot in many diameters from MSC among other sources.

PS - for those of you unfamiliar with the early 30s Packard fuel tanks, here's a pix of the OEM flex joint in the filler neck. Decades of slight flexing finally work-harden the brass so much that it's too brittle for repair. This is the section, between the tank neck and the filler neck in the tail light, that I replaced with the above-mentioned hose. PS - I just hated to abandon this nifty little piece of original engineering but had little choice.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.52 KB)
177_4d67d08eea254.jpg 1500X1009 px

Posted on: 2011/2/25 10:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved