Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

Dave Munger, Tobs, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Bearings, 12 cylinder , 1936 year, 14 series
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

1stpackard
See User information
We need to purchase new rod bearings for our car. Can someone suggest a source.

Tom, 1stpackard

Posted on: 2011/2/20 15:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Bearings, 12 cylinder , 1936 year, 14 series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That can be quite an interesting problem. The Twelves were orginally poured babbit, going during 1934 to a steel-backed babbit insert design. In 1938 they were again changed to a steel-backed bronze design with about 0.0005" tin coating, which due to lack of the ability to imbed small particles as the thicker and softer babbit had done, necessitated a change to a chromed shaft as well. I'm reminded of a series of excellent articles a few years back by Dale Adams which thoroughly detailed all the steps in rebuilding a V12; they had to make their own rod bearings from scratch. I tried to obtain a copyright release to post the articles but could not, but I could photocopy the article and send to you if you PM me with your email. Making the flanged bronze bearings was a very complex process and I think they never went into production other than what they made for their own immediate needs.

A restoration shop here in NJ with MANY rebuilt Packard 12s to their credit rebabbits the old flanged shells, citing that there is no real practical alternative. He gives his rebuilds a 20,000 mile warranty and has had no problems that I'm aware of so apparently it works out well. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other options, though Max Merritt has from time to time had some rod bearing shells manufactured for the 320 and 384 engines and may have also done something with the Twelve. Worth a call to them, I've really not kept current on this situation.

Posted on: 2011/2/20 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just noticed that the full set of detail articles on rebuilding a Packard V12, including the article I referenced above on manufacturing the rod bearings from scratch, is on the Dale Adams website. Some other very interesting articles as well. Some of you who have been on this site for a while will perhaps remember the postings on the 34 Twelve Dietrich with LeBaron-style fenders and bustle trunk - without taking a position one way or the other, this car contines to stir controversy about it's provenance.

The engine-rebuilding series is GOOD reading for anyone contemplating their own engine work, Twelve or not - some really great fundamental stuff like how to make measurements, building and grinding valve seats, and much more. Highly recommended for the mechanically-inclined.

www.daleadamsenterprises.com Then click on "articles for download".

Posted on: 2011/2/23 16:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

1stpackard
See User information
Owen,
Thank you for taking the time to respond and for sending the link. The Dale Adams article on motor restoration is perfect, especially for a novice like myself.

I did talk to Max Merritt Co. and they do have someone reproducing / manufacturing new rod bearings to suite.

This is my first packard and it is a learning experience ---also great fun.

Thanks again,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/2/23 21:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved