Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Where can I find the McCahill review of the torsion level cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I thought it might be useful to print this out a bit larger than life and put it on an easel next to my car at shows and the like.

What I need is either a good set of scans with no moire, or loan of the article itself to scan it myself.

If it exists here my apologies; I can't find it.

Actually, any intelligent period review would be useful, so any direction would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 15:01
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Where can I find the McCahill review of the torsion level cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Try the library!

Posted on: 2011/2/24 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
With my current eye problem I can't drive and I can't find it in our local online library site.

It certainly seems like something that ought to be floating around on the web....

Posted on: 2011/2/24 22:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information

Posted on: 2011/2/24 22:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Haven't seen the McCahill article so would be nice to find it. Not that many 56 full reviews it would seem since Packard was covered pretty well for 55. I do have a Motor Trend review on the 56 Clipper and a different 55 Motor Trend Packard review than those listed. Could email them if you want either.

There are some brief pieces about some features and changes for 56 in the Popular Science archives someone who posts here was nice enough to provide a link to.http://www.popsci.com/archives

Posted on: 2011/2/24 23:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Hope you find it HH. I'm always interested in T/L and what makes it special. I will hunt around on the internet, although you probably have already. Sometimes you find this stuff in unlikely places.

Posted on: 2011/2/24 23:27
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Brookland Books "Packard Gold Portfolio" includes the Mechanix Illustrated July 1955 McCahill test, among many many others. Suffice it to say he liked the '55 Clipper, and the TL in particular. Terrific resource for '46-58 Packard owners. As usual, some of the British tests, by Autocar, John Bolster &c, were some of the most thorough and revealing. You can often find these on eBay and Amazon. If you can't find one PM me and I can Xerox it and mail it to you

Posted on: 2011/2/25 11:21
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thank you all.

It occurred to me that some people who go look at cars want more information. I have an old artist's easel and a relativly large printer. Seemed like it would be easy to print several reviews (oversized, for easy reading) and put them on the easel likwe flip charts.

I have the seventies (?) review of the Patrician (Blue and Blue car). The Motor Trend review is usable, but McCahill was always lively and a better read, so....

Anyhow, I went to plan "C" and bought the magazine on fleabay. I'll post the scans when I get them done.

Are there other specific articles that I should consider here?

Posted on: 2011/2/25 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
patgreen,

Great of you to get that magazine! If it's not too much extra trouble, I'd like to have it posted or linked on the "Best of its Day?" thread dedicated to all things T/L.

BTW, the color scheme on the car in your Avatar is one of the nicest I've seen on a V8 Packard. Most unusual. What do they call that blue? It looks almost like the "Intense Blue" that Dodge had on some of its pickups a few years ago.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 15:08
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
BTW, the color scheme on the car in your Avatar is one of the nicest I've seen on a V8 Packard. Most unusual. What do they call that blue? It looks almost like the "Intense Blue" that Dodge had on some of its pickups a few years ago.

That was a big factor in buying the car; before I got it I turned down two very nice cars because they were black and white.

The color code on the car is MG (Dover White/Agean Blue). It is a repaint, and the color does jump, but not as much as the avatar photo. Friend took the the picture in last years local July 4 parade and I suspect he had a go at the saturation slider in photoshop.

If you wish, I can send you a more accurate photo......

I archived one here in front of Grant's home in Galena which should be easy to find....

I just went and took a look at the Grant photo and it's somewhat duller than the actual color.... On average....

Posted on: 2011/2/26 18:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved