Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

Patrick, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How Should You Open A Locked Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Well, here I am again! Tonight I parked the Packard after a drive and I heard soft crumbles inside the door as I locked the car. Now it will not unlock... The other door has never locked or unlocked with a key, at least since I have owned it. My question, how should I get the car unlocked? I want to not cause any damage. I will worry you all later on how to fix the locks!

Posted on: 2011/3/4 20:32
 Top  Print   

Re: How Should You Open A Locked Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Were it mine in similar circumstances, I'd treat her to the good old hanger. Maybe, if you're lucky, you can get around one of the linkages and jiggle it till the lock pops.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 21:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Paul,

Last year I "lost" the keys to my Packard, a '41 120 Club Coupe while on a club run. One of the other guys there was, using a very stiff piece of wire coat hanger, able to open the front quarter window because it only pushes into place and doesn't lock as such. From there able to put arm through quarter window and open the door from the inside. Might be able to do the same on yours?

And you know what? Next day I found the "lost" keys in my pocket buried under my wallet!

Attach file:

jpg  (24.51 KB)
226_4d719e63791f1.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/3/4 21:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Oh yes! Never thought of that!! The vent window latches only flip up or down on my car too, it is a '50 Super DeLuxe 8. I will make the attempt in the morning. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, all the help on this site is a God send.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
A number of years ago I locked my keys in the ignition on my 79 Blazer. No spare key in my wallet or anyplace to get a coathanger. I popped the hood and pulled the dipstick. I used that to get "in" through the vent window.

What made it even more enjoyable was that I couldn't get my hand and arm far enough back to pull up the door lock knob. Finessed the dipstick on to the key ring and got the keys out of the ignition. Luckily the keys dropped off of the dipstick onto the driver's seat where I could reach them instead of the floor.

Made damn sure that I always have a spare key in my wallet.

Posted on: 2011/3/4 23:26
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Slim Jim or coat hanger down between the glass and door, and lift up the lock button.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 3:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Good news!! Packie is open once more. I used the coat hanger in the vent window trick shown on the above '41. Actually, I went in at the top of the vent with a loop and pulled the vent handle up and the vent was unlocked. Then it was just a matter of reaching in and popping the lock. Thanks to all and especially to Oz!! Now I gotta figure out how to repair the key/ lock mechanism that I heard crumble in the door... Any ideas guys? Are parts available??

Posted on: 2011/3/5 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Pretty much everything is available NOS. Call Stuart or Charrod in our Packard dept 800-526-1096 x 336

Posted on: 2011/3/5 22:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved