Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

Andrew Sinclair, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Advise on a 288 cu inch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tommy Hahn
See User information
Hi guys,

I got the engine to run by taking out #5 spark plug as it was backfiring through and keeping gas out of the carb. Of course I had poured a bunch of Miracle Mystery oil down the cylinders and let it set for a week therefore it really smoked. The trans would not allow me to shift into reverse however all the forward gears worked. When trying to put into reverse the shifter would travel what I believe would be the right amount of distance, however a couple of times I could feel the reverse gear trying to engage with no success. As far as oil pressure I have no idea as I don't trust my pressure gauge and need to get one that I know works correctly. Absolutely no brakes even after I put some brake fluid in however I could not bleed them as my helper is doing other things(my wife) I know I have a lot to learn and sure appreciate the participation I get from all. Thanks so much!

Posted on: 2011/4/1 14:13
This is my first Packard and I am in the proc
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Depending on how long the car sat, you may find the old brake fluid in wheel cylinders to have turned to rock but we'll hope not.

Since it goes forward, doesn't sound as if the clutch is the no reverse issue. Being a 50, you should have an R11 OD unit. To rule out any OD electrical issues for the present, remove the fuse on the side of large 4 wire relay on firewall.

The shift adjustments are fairly easy to check so I would do that first just to make sure all is good and to see the general condition of components under the car. Look for any worn bushings at the rod ends or loose pinch clamps on trans levers or anything else loose where motion is lost. Make sure both levers at the trans are detented at neutral when the gearshift end is positioned per the instructions in that service article mentioned early on.

If those are good, then check the travel and motion of the OD lockout lever. Disconnect the cable and move the lever. It should be relatively smooth the entire travel (about 5 inches +/-). Take note of that travel and then connect the cable again and use the under dash knob to move it. Make sure the travel is about the same amount to verify the cable isn't slipping because of a worn or broken cable connection at one end or the other. The pot metal at the dash end of lockout assy has been known to break or loosen and let the entire cable housing move. Same with a loose clamp or mount at trans end.

If all that checks out, leave it in lockout (lever all the way toward front of car) and try reverse. If no movement, then bigger issues, if there is, then time for more detailed work on OD which will require some troubleshooting.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 14:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mine is a 1950 Custom Club, 2 door with a 2365-5 serial and I have failed to find any production numbers in the registry

A 2365 is actually a DeLuxe Eight, not a Custom 8. Production estimates for the 2365 club sedan are 2375 units as 23rd series 1949, and 2585 units as 23rd series 1950. Source: The Packard Cormorant, Spring 2011, article by Ed Ostrowski, roster keeper for the 23rd series, based on surviving vehicle production sequence numbers.

Posted on: 2011/4/1 22:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Tommycourt,

You have the following information (and question) in the signature area of your posts:

"This is my first Packard and I am in the process of trying to restore it to a number 3 driver. Mine is a 1950 Custom Club, 2 door with a 2365-5 serial and I have failed to find any production numbers in the registry. Any help would be appreciated and glad to be a Packard owner.

Thanks for any help "

The problem is that this query will append to every item you post. I nearly responded earlier today until I realized that your question had already been answered. I'd suggest that you go into your profile and remove the question from your signature area to prevent confusion.

Welcome!

Regards,

Posted on: 2011/4/1 23:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved