Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
249 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 249

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

To gasket or RTV...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I pulled the oil pan to clean out the sludge and clear the screen on the oil pump intake, because I suspect it hasn't happened since Carter was in office. I had the slimmest of hopes that I could salvage the gasket, and like most old cork gaskets, it crumbled upon disassembly.

I haven't ordered the oil pan gasket yet (waiting to hear back from Ultramatic Dynamics, they have the best price), and I was wondering what the general consensus is: do most people get the gasket on something like this, or just use RTV? I can see advantages either way. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/4/7 18:06
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: To gasket or RTV...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
New gaskets can probably be reused if careful and too much RTV has caused issues if it squeezes out and starts floating around. Whichever you choose, if that pan is like the postwars, be sure to flatten the raised up bolt hole areas so gasket or RTV has a nice flat non distorted area to seal against there and the spaces between holes will have enough pressure to compress the gasket without distortions keeping them too far away--an issue on Ultramatic pans and later model oil pans.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 18:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Check out Terrill Machine in DeLeon TX for the gaskets. They usually have fair pricing, and are very easy to work with. I agree on how easy it is to over torque the fasteners. I like to use a 1/4" drive socket on them as a means of preventing my Arnold type muscles from overtightening them.....

Posted on: 2011/4/7 19:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
After cleaning and reshaping the oil pan around the bolt holes as HH has aptly described, I like to use cork gaskets which I glue to the pan with Permatex No. 2; then I just wipe the upper surface of the gasket with a bit of grease and bolt it up. Normally if I have to remove the pan again with 5 or so years, I don't need a new gasket. Same methodology works well for tappet covers.

Excessive use of RTV, such that it squeezes out into the engine interior, can be very detrimental and to me is best avoided. Just my experience.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 19:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The gaskets from Ultramatic Dynamics are very nice one piece cork/rubber composite gaskets. Two thumbs up!

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I never heard back from Ultramatic Dynamic, and the phone number on his website didn't work! So, I called Merrill Machine instead, and I'll have gaskets for the oil pan, fuel pump, and tappet covers (side covers?) next Friday. Thanks again to everyone for all the advice- it's much nicer to learn lessons the easy way (told) than the hard way (screwed up!).

Posted on: 2011/4/8 22:51
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just for future reference, i'm pretty sure Terril Machine gets them from Best Gaskets as does Egge (and possible all the other Packard Vendors). When Jim, David F and myself visited Egge HQ in January, then didnt have a gasket in stock so sent us to Best's "Will-Call" office which was about 2 blocks away from Egge.

Best Gasket doesn't sell direct, so you have to go through a distributor like Egge or Terril.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 23:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved