Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 160

Don B, azpack400, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: installing a small block?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you have a clutch pedal, then it's a 3 speed manual tranny. "Three-on-the-tree" aka shifter on the column.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 0:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was in a similar boat as you. Bought my '54 Clipper for $500, and the motor was stuck when I got it. Poured some ATF in the cylinders, let it soaked, then sucked out the atf, and got the motor loose with a large wrench on the crank bolt.

Once free, drop the pan, clean out the sludge, and look around underneath for any obvious problems.

Run a compression check and see where everything is at.

I didnt need to tear into my motor. It was just stuck from sitting. Runs like a top now. Check my blog for all the info on mine. The 327 in my car is almost identical to the 288 you have.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 0:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It has a gearshift on the steering column like an automatic, but it is a manual trans with a clutch. Sometimes known as "3 on the tree" lol how cool is that?

The gearshift is the lever on the right side of the steering wheel.

Pull the lever towards you and up for reverse, towards you and down for low gear, away from you and up for second gear, away and down for high gear. It is an "H" pattern with neutral in the middle.

Let Youtube school you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfC-xkyyCQY

61 Ford 330HP V8 with 3 speed. Notice the shifter action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26pQioiKaOs&feature=related

With your Packard you do not need to shift a lot. Once you get in 3d you can do most of your driving, and idle down to 15 MPH then pull away and speed up to 90MPH without shifting. At least, it would when it was new maybe not so much now. The point is you don't have to shift gears all the time like the peanut motors in the new cars.

Use a delicate touch and don't try to shift it too fast and it will work fine for you.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 0:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Here is a 53 Packard with the same motor as your car, it sat for 30 years, see how it runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7i0ngnScf0&feature=related

There are other videos of straight 8 Packards that guys got running after they sat for years.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 1:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
PM me about an extremely affordable distributor.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 4:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Remember, your car is 6v, positive ground. I'm sure you will need a battery so don't put a 12v in it. Make sure you attach the ground wire from the engine to the positive terminal.

Having a manual trans will put you miles ahead in repair costs. Much better than having to have an automatic rebuilt.

Posted on: 2011/4/16 17:22
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Garrett,
for including your '52 Deluxe Sedan in the Packard Owners Registry. However you have included it as a 2565 a 200 Deluxe Club Sedan but I see from this post, Back doors wont open that you have a 4 door sedan! Could you check the ID numbers? A 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan should be prefixed as 2562. If that's the case, can you please adjust the Registry entry? And speaking of numbers - Dave, Owen_Dyneto here, collects the ID, Theft Proof Number(large number stamped in firewall) and Engine Numbers for a study he is doing, and I'm sure he would appreciate your advice of these.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 1:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
GearRat52 wrote:.....See the car athttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_N_4wT8kA
Garrett,

Had a look at your video and also the other one looking closely at the engine and engine compartment. Looks like it hasn't run for a long time. And it is a 4 door sedan!

Also saw your powered shopping trolley. Put the same sort of effort into the Packard and you'll have a much better ride than the trolley. And legal too!

Posted on: 2011/4/17 1:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You don't have to invest in a 6 volt battery right away. You can get the car running with a 12 volt if you are careful and don't let it run too long.

If you can afford it buy an Optima 6 volt battery, they are better and longer lasting than regular batteries and will prevent many of the problems that occur on old 6 volt systems.

I see by your video the air filter is on your motor. That is good. Chances are your motor is not seized up, or will come loose with a little persuasion.

Rad hose is off, possibly someone drained the rad which is also good. But beware, sometimes mice and critters go in and make nests plugging up the top of your rad. If this happens you need to take the rad out, turn it upside down and flush out the mouse nests.

So, your car should not be too hard to get running. Go slow and careful, do not tear everything apart right away. I have brought back many old motors from retirement, if you want to know how to do it just ask.

On the door issue. Did you pull up the door lock buttons? Are they free to move? Did you try the inside handle as well as the outside one? Could you get in the back seat and work the inside handle while pushing the door out? Sometimes they are just stuck.

Do not put oil or penetrating oil in door locks. It gums them up. A shot of WD40 is not too bad if you follow it up with graphite. Alcohol is better than WD40. Or possibly brake cleaner spray.

Would also suggest you clean out the car. Save everything even if it does not look like a car part. That funny looking bit of metal or rubber can turn out to be some irreplaceable part you need later. Put everything in boxes and ziplock bags and put it away. If you find any car parts they will give you a clue what was wrong when they put the car away or junked it. You can throw out the old cigarette packs and dried up ballpoint pens lol.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 9:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: Garrett,......Could you check the ID numbers? A 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan should be prefixed as 2562. If that's the case, can you please adjust the Registry entry?.....
Garrett,
for fixing your Registry entry.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 2:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved