Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Battery for 23rd Series Deluxe 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Now my NAPA battery died, probably caused by my voltage regulator and generator failure. I never liked the looks of that modern non-origional battery under the hood, so I want to buy an authentic reproduction battery if possible. Can anyone tell me what battery the 23rd series came with? I have seen "Delco" and Willard" script batteies offered so far. Prices range from $175 to $300 depending on the store and the script.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 15:25
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery for 23rd Series Deluxe 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Willard & National were the OEM brands. The current NAPA battery looks pretty correct and if desired, you can peel off or paint over their labels. At one time you could get Willard pressure-sensitive labels from Antique Auto Battery and then apply them - don't know if you still can. My own experience with NAPA Group 2E batteries is that you can usually get 6-8 years of service from them; the best I ever got from the "boutique" battery makers was 24-30 months so I no longer use them. Hope this is helpful.

EDIT: Oops - my mistake, sorry. It was Willard and AutoLite, not National. Thanks HH for correcting my error.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the official specs. I agree with O_D. If you are planning on one of the "correct" looking repro batteries, they do not last long at all. Just curious, how different do the Napa batteries look.

I am surprised none of the clubs have offered a cover for the 6V Optima battery in this configuration. PI So Cal has covers for the more squared 6v with Optima sitting at a diagonal with posts extending in the normal spots and 12v configurations but no one I can remember seem to have anything for the group 2E style.

The Optima specs list 8 1/8 high x 3 9/16 wide, 2E is 9 1/8 x 4 1/8 so it seems like it should be easy to machine an ordinary looking terminal with threaded stud bottom for each end of the cover box for the look. Mount them to the box or a phenolic insulator attached under them and connect to a battery in the middle with ordinary cables and terminals. Would require an extra foot or so of cables for connection and possibly periodic inspection of the Optima but plenty of room to coil up so should not be that big an issue. Hold down could probably even accommodate a slight additional cover height if that were needed. Add a Willard or Autolite label and seems like it might have a few takers.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.43 KB)
209_4dab4f4719802.jpg 977X158 px

Posted on: 2011/4/17 15:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From the perspective of battery requirements for the prewar Seniors, I guess I don't see the advantages of Optima-style batteries. Less cold cranking amps than the best lead-acid batteries that fit the box; they don't seem to last any longer, and though they wouldn't have the acid situation to contend with, modern batteries are pretty well-sealed at the posts and rarely present any problem.

The only advantage I can see is getting a battery for something where it's visible under the hood and the lead-acid battery is NLA, like a Group 60 (55/56 V8).

So, am I missing something?

Posted on: 2011/4/17 16:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think you are missing anything--just another preference or another option. Some seem to have trouble finding regular 6v lead acid batteries in certain sizes while the one size 6v Optima seem to be more available worldwide.

The Optima is touted as being more rugged due to the construction and lack of conventional liquid although that might not mean much in our situation. I personally have had excellent luck with the 12v Optima and even went to one on my driver. With my Packards lack of driving, it has lasted much longer with only periodic charging as compared to the lead acids treated exactly the same before it. I know others have had only so-so luck so maybe just a false perception.

Posted on: 2011/4/17 17:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
The NAPA battery has a hard cover rather than a tar top, so that does not look right. It is not sealed so the acid comes out and you have to add water (authentic problems just like the good old days). My worst issue is the 4-1/8 dimension on the NAPA battery is slightly larger than original so the original Packard battery hold-down does not fit. I had to buy an ugly repro battery hold-down that is slightly larger and does fit the NAPA battery.

I talked to folks about batteries at a car show yesterday. One man told me the recent experience with Optima batteries was bad. He said they are now made in Mexico and they just do not last.

Thanks everyone for the good information.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 10:19
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Photos of the NAPA battery I installed in my 21st Series Custom. I removed the decals for a plain look, but saved them for warranty information. It fit in the cradle and the hold down fit too.

(o{I}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (29.44 KB)
565_4dac58d9cae32.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.56 KB)
565_4dac58eadccec.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/4/18 10:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That 4 1/8 dimension seems to be the norm and the smallest thickness. Looking at other places with similar offerings, even lower capacity units are the same. Larger capacity commercial units are 4 3/8 to almost 5.

There was one poster who did a nice job of modifying his hold down by cutting the sides. He either replaced the side or just welded in small pieces. Ground welds so repair was all but invisible. Don't remember any more details or how he finished it off though--paint, powder coat or plating or combination thereof.

Other battery places:

http://www.batterygiant.com/Product/2E-615

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/sealed-lead-acid/centennial-batteries/centennial-commercial-batteries/centennial-bci-group-2e-6v-commercial-battery-615cca

http://www.staabbattery.com/product/330.html

Posted on: 2011/4/18 10:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good choice, JW. Myself and most of the local Packard boys use the NAPA Commercial line and have had outstanding life - 6,7,8 or more years of service.

In addition to Delphi, there only are two (I think) major companies that make lead-acid batteries, Johnson Controls and Exide. There are also two smaller companies that used to have pretty extensive lines, don't know what their current offerings are, Douglas & East Penn:

http://www.douglasbattery.com/

http://www.dekabatteries.com/

According to an article in the current issue of Skinned Knuckles, Exide makes Champion, Exide & NAPA; Johnson makes Diehard, Duralast, Interstate, Kirkland and MotorCraft. Of course that doesn't mean the battery Johnson makes for MotorCraft (Ford) has the same specs as the one they make for Sears, etc.

Posted on: 2011/4/18 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'm using a NAPA 7248 in my '50. Both my '50 and '49 have the '3EH' format batteries in them in lieu of the '2E'. They fit the shelf and hold-down just fine. The NAPA Commercial battery in the '50 has been a very good battery. I haven't had the '49 long enough to comment on the battery (I don't even know who made it at this point... but it's brand new).

Posted on: 2011/4/18 11:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved