Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 231

39Rollson, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 v12 Touring Sedan Vapor Lock?
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
On hot days car stops and after ~45min will restart. I have tried wrapping fuel line with reflective tape. Car has electric fuel pump.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Suggestions

Posted on: 2011/4/21 16:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 v12 Touring Sedan Vapor Lock?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't mean to be non-responsive in detail, but this is probably one of the most frequently posted topics on old car websites - there's a current one going on AACA about vapor locking with a late prewar Buick, many others as well, and quite a few on this site.

Might I suggest you use the search capability and browse what's already been said - I don't think there are really any "new" solutions that haven't been posted many times before.

Sorry if I'm coming across as abrupt, just that so much has been said before. Give it a shot and let us know if you find sufficient suggestions, and if not, then we'll go from there.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
What is a bit unique-3 Packards-2 straight 8's and the V12. Having problem with only the V12. The usual fix is an electric fuel pump which it seems has not fixed the problem. Is there something unique to a 12? Wrapping the fuel line is another fix-so far that has not helped. Mixing kerosene in the gas has not been tried-is there any harm in that?

Posted on: 2011/4/21 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the gas cap VENT and the carburetor vent.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out of curiosity did any of your Packards belong to the late Judge Tom S. of Nashville??? Or maybe Motlow???

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A couple of questions and a couple of thoughts:

What part of the country are you in, or what are the temperatures at which your problem is encountered?

What kind of driving conditions bring ont he problem?

Where in the fuel delivery system is the electric pump located?

What's the pressure of the pump?

What's the coolant temperature when the problem arises?

Are you pushing thru the mechanical pump or is it bypassed?

Is the electric pump plumbed with a return line?

Excellent suggestion about the gas cap vent!

My experience with Twelves is fairly limited, but I think generally they are not particularly prone to vapor lock. Have you eliminated a bad (or bad set) of condensors or ignition coils - symptoms have some similarities are are occasionally confused with each other.

Vapor lock (if that's the problem) is much more likely to occur in the suction side of the system because the boiling point of the fuel is depressed on the suction side, and elevated on the pressure side. Any close proximity of the fuel suction line to the exhaust system?

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Someone told me about the old clothespin on the metal line to the carb trick...it sounds like an old wives tale, but if the line was hot maybe it acts like a heatsink?

Any actual truth to that helping with vaporlock?

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another myth. Just think about how efficient a conductor of heat a piece of wood is.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I agree, you'd think some copper line or aluminum would work better.

Also, when i vapor-lock, the line is decently cool.

Lastly, nothing easy and cheap ever seems to be the correct fix. :-/

Posted on: 2011/4/21 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Packard1949:

The Packard manual lists vapor lock as a cause of hot starting problems, but does not elaborate. The electric pump should remove vapor lock as an issue, but to test get the car hot, let it heat soak to the no start condition, turn the pump on, and pump the throttle. Fuel should begin to spill out of the anti-flood.

Next get a KD spark tester from NAPA and verify a good hot spark of at least 20K.

Third pull the plugs and perform a compression test.

If the above is all good then look for clogged main jet air bleeds in the Stromberg EE3. This will manifest as gas running out of the anti-flood when parked.

Don't forget that proper hot starting procedure is to hold the throttle to the floor when cranking.

Good luck with your V-12. When new they usually started faster than a computer controlled motor hot or cold. However, the manual does state that occasional extended cranking may be required to start a very hot motor.

Oh, and one other point is starter cranking speed. If your motor is not turning over fast you should consider a complete set of custom made battery cables from RI. These can make a world of improvement and save your starter motor as well. Use 3/8 anti-shake washers at all chassis connections.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 18:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved