Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Another engine paint question,1954 clipper 327
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
This engine paint is confusing.I have removed and disassembled the engine.My plan is to clean and paint and regasket the engine.I have degreased it twice.The color is a horrble gree and alot of it is gray under the green.Bill hirsch says gray,max merrit says green.I sure hope its gray,so which is it?

Posted on: 2011/5/1 17:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Another engine paint question,1954 clipper 327
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gray - no question about it. The only Packard engine between 1951 and 1954 that was not gray was the 1954 senior 359 engine which was bronze.

The folks at Max Merrit know better - I'm sure if you asked them again they'd say gray. It's possible some very early 1948 (22nd series) 327 engines were green but even that is in doubt.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Gray

Posted on: 2011/5/1 17:44
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

paintdaddy
See User information
Thanks,I like the gray better anyway.Do you think the green was done by a previous owner.I do notice that the oil pump and the small,short,oil line on the side of the block has been painted green.Is this normal.Also I should have said that max merrit lists green on their website as the correct color.http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000022d~Z5Z5Z5AABQI~P35.00~~~~S37I16TIUO74176235489e~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000022D

Posted on: 2011/5/1 18:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
51-54 Quick Cheat Guide:

Water pump, oil pump, block, head, pan, bellhousing, oil fill tube, timing cover....all engine color (gray).

All pulleys and accessories (starter, generator, brackets, fan, etc) are black.

OIl, fuel, and vacuum hardlines are natural (no paint).

Posted on: 2011/5/1 20:07
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
There are always exceptions. I own a '52 Patrician factory show car whose interior is all original. One off salmon wool and grey fake fur upholstery, salmon leather covered dash, salmon cotton shag carpeting. Seat ticket under the rear seat says 1 of 1. Chrome strg column which was correct for '51 only.

The car was 100% original when I got it except for the spark plugs, it still has all 5 original tires with 22,000 miles on them. OUtside is copper metallic body and grey matellic roof, both non-factory colors. There was a matching color convertible shown in factory photographs but it has not surfaced.

The engine was and is green,I repainted it 30 years ago

Posted on: 2011/5/1 20:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved