Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 239

Packardbarry, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 Super 8 overheating
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Here is a statement from the owner of the Packard I'm considering buying. "THE CAR HAS A NEW

RADIATOR AND THE CORRECT RADIATOR CAP. A NEW COOLING TUBE INSIDE THE ENGINE AND A NEW

WATER PUMP SO I DON'T KNOW WHY IT OVERHEATS. I RUN PURE ANTIFREEZE IN THE RADIATOR.

My thought was it overheats because he is running pure antifreeze. IT should be at least 50/50 and in the hot summer I sometimes run 100% distilled water. Thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/5/6 16:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Super 8 overheating
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How about defining what you mean by "overheating"? Not enough information to go by.

Boiling over?

Temperature rises under stress conditions but doesn't boil?

This info will help with a diagnosis. Also, have you checked actual temperatures with a thermometer? Have you managed to determine what position on the dash gauge corresponds to what actual temperture? What rating thermostat is in it, if any? Are you sure the therostat isn't stuck closed?

Need more info.

PS - straight water has the best heat transfer, straight ethylene glycol (which should never be used) has the worst.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 17:09
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Remember it's Anti-Freeze.....not Anti-Overheat.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 17:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The addition of anti-freeze to the engine coolant mixture not only reduces its freezing point, but also raises its boiling point. However, because the heat transfer of ethylene glycol is significantly less than that of water, there's a point at which higher concentrations become counter-productve.

The chemistry/physics of it are anough to give the layperson a headache, but for the sake of argument, let's consider SL Vol. 14, No. 14. Packard even recommended increasing the concentration of anti-freeze (specifically, Prestone) to raise the boiling point for unusual operating conditions - but NOT beyond 60%.

Pure antifreeze would actually contribute to overheating.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I had a '82 Toyota in my youth that I put too much antifreeze in and it overheated. Sure sounds like that is the problem here too.

Posted on: 2011/5/6 22:18
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved