Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: radiator for a 288 versus a 327
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As to newly (and correctly) rebuilt engines creating so much friction that they overheat, rememeber that when the car was brand new from the dealer and youdorve it home for the first time , it did not overheat!

Fred - I think you misinterpreted what I said. Of course they didn't boil over when driven home from the dealers. The point was that, at the time the engine was new and tight, the cooling system was also new and completely competent to handle the load imposed on it. It's unlikely that the cooling sytem remained that competent by the time an engine overhaul was needed. That was the point. Sorry if I didn't state it clearly enough.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 15:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Did your rebuilder boil out the block and clean the water distribution tube? Just general questions trying to help.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 17:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
As for the size of the radiator. Most cars that offered optional engines, all models used the same size rad as far as height and width. The difference was in the thickness of the core. For the fin and tube type used from the late fifties up, common sizes were 2 core (six cylinder) 3 core (V8) and 4 core (heavy duty, trailer towing package, station wagon and big block engine).

If the water tube is left out or rotted away the coolant will stream up the front of the engine and not reach the back. The back of the engine will be boiling while the front is cool.

Perhaps some owners of the same model can tell you how thick their rads are.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Interesting. The old cap is a 7 psi type, with a dimension of 7/8" from the rubber gasket under the top to the bottom of the seal. The cap I just bought is a 13 psi type, but it's only 3/4". I see on the part x-ref section, a Stant 10206 or Napa 403-1411 7 lb cap is listed for the 48-50 ,and Balkamp 7031461 or Stant 10229 13 lb cap is listed for the V8. Any suggestions for the 51?

I think I would like to try the 13 lb version.

I will also pull the water pump as my next option to check it out. Terrill Machine rebuilt it about 3 years ago.

The block was boiled out prior to rebuilding, and I put in a new water distribution tube, even though the old one was in good shape as well. The exhaust heat riser valve is in good working condition. The thermostat was replaced, and I drilled a small hole in it to assist with preventing air locks.

thanks for the advice.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Don't use the 3/4 one, find an inch one. I used a 3/4 one and it was great for half hour tuning sessions...once i got about 20 miles up the road, started finally getting warm and blowing coolant out. If you use the short one, the coolant has a direct path without pressure to the overflow, and i don't think just the top gasket does much.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 21:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Again I ask how hot is "too hot"?? Perhaps the problem should have been stated the water comes out the radiator neck.

Following a logical diagnosis technique saves an awful lot of keystrokes

Posted on: 2011/5/16 22:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Rick Endler
See User information
While on this topic, I have a '48 Deluxe Touring Sedan with a 288. It came with a spare radiator which has a thicker core (fills the side bracket width) than the one installed in the car (doesn't fill side bracket width by one row). Both fit, and work equally as well. Which is the correct one for this car?

Posted on: 2011/5/17 7:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
As the 288 is the smaller motor, I believe th thinner one is correct

Posted on: 2011/5/17 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

David Grubbs wrote: ...I think I would like to try the 13 lb version...

Why the higher pressure cap? You may run into problems with a 13 lbs cap in a system designed for a 7 lbs cap. For one thing, the radiator and heater core are not designed for a sustained high pressure. I recommend you get the correct depth 7 lbs cap and see how it performs.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/17 10:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Further on the 13# cap "solution"

As I have said, diagnose the problem and fix it. If a car bottoms out adn you increase the tire presure to 100 pounds, it may raise it just enough to prevent that. You will undoubtedly crack the wheels and the tires will explode. The correct way to diagnose it is to see if there is excess weight in the car( sandbags in the trunk) or the springs are sagged.

Packards and lesser vehivles are logical beings, treat them as such and they will give a liftime of pleasure. Except of course '56 with pushbuttons

Posted on: 2011/5/17 11:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved