Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 244

dallas, Bob J, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'32 Light Eight Sedan - New Member
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mcsilves
See User information
I'm new to this, guidance appreciated! Just purchased a '32 Light Eight Sedan, ALL original except tires & radiator. Drives great (needs shock work), everything works including automatic clutch! Getting to know her, have tons of questions. First set:
1) Am I OK using regular gas?
2) What is the best oil & viscosity (heard abour Classic Car Oil w/additive)?
3) It currently has a Purolator PER 1/2 oil filter. I have an original EF-2 from a previous car (that I expect is not usable), does it have value or do I just get a replacement from Ripey or Anzalone?
4) Need replacement right tailight stanchion (license plate post broken), are they available? What about the left optional tailight and mounting bracket?
Will also be joining local & national clubs. Any help is appreciated!

Posted on: 2011/6/2 21:56
 Top  Print   

Re: '32 Light Eight Sedan - New Member
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
You should be fine with reg gas. Packard motors of your vintage used lower octane than current fuels.As for oil I like the oil with additive (30 wt) It may or may not be a personal preference.I am not sure.Others here may have different opinions, To me its cheep insurance. Make sure you drop the oil pan and clean first. BHW

Posted on: 2011/6/2 22:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mcsilves
See User information
Trying to paste a photo....

Attach file:

jpg  (155.00 KB)
3799_4de85036ecfd4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/6/2 22:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Great car!Please be warned someone on this site will want you to register it.I wont say more than that.Enjoy Your Car and enjoy this site,There is a lot of really good grey matter here on our beloved Packards! Brian

Posted on: 2011/6/2 22:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Brians51 wrote:....Please be warned someone on this site will want you to register it. I wont say more than that......
G'day mcsilves,
That someone would be me. But before I go into the hard sell, just want to say to PackardInfo! Now here comes the arm twisting, such as it is. I invite you to include your '32 Light Eight Sedan in the Packard Owners Registry here on PackardInfo. There, I said it, that wasn't too bad was it?

Posted on: 2011/6/3 1:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Very nice car! And to Packard Info!

As for your questions:

1) I run regular gas with about 3-5% diesel. I find the diesel helps with these older engines, particularly when running with a DL 51 updraft carb.

2) Quite a few of us run Shell Rotella 15W-40. Straight 30W will also work. I am not sure, on these roller tappet engines, if adding ZDDP is helpful, but it won't hurt. Unless you know the oil pan is clean, I would highly recommend dropping the oil pan and cleaning it, and the oil distribution tubes to the main bearings. I would also strongly recommend flushing the radiator and cooling system.

3) You can buy an L-2 reproduction oil filter that takes a modern spin-on filter (which is housed inside). I know the major vendors, like Kanter and Max Merritt, carry them.

4) John Ulrich has tail-light stanchions. His info is here.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2011/6/3 9:17
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
As far as clubs go, there are two major Packard clubs: Packard Automobile Classics (also known as The Packard Club), which seems to be east coast oriented, and Packards International, which is more of a west coast group. The Packard club is much the bigger group.

Both have much to offer and seem to be good groups, with many local chapters.

If your schedule permits, you might enjoy the Packard Club's yearly convention, held July 11-16 in Galena, Illinois.

Galena is a picturesque small town in northwestern Illinois which featured heavily in the Civil War. Its lead mines were important contributors to the war effort. Six Union generals came from Galena; foremost was U.S. Grant, whose home is a key local attraction. The official convention site is reachable from the Packard Club website, or by Googleing.

I particularly like Galena because it caters to civilized people, not trash. very few grubby stores, a number of pleasant yet reasonable restaurants.....

Galena is about three hours from O'Hare. Closest city is Dubuque, Iowa....

It would be a wonderful opportunity to hook up with other Packard enthusiasts, see lots of Packards and generally have an interesting time.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 14:04
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '32 Light Eight Sedan in the Packard Owners Registry. Nice photo.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 17:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
We inspected and drove your 900 a couple years back when D.G owned it and thought it a fine original car needing some freshening up. As I recall from looking at the data plate the car was sold new by Blair Motor Car Company in Altoona, PA.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Welcome to Packardinfo!
That is a fine looking automobile. I really like the looks of the Light Eight. And thank you for placing it in our registry. You will enjoy this forum - friendly Packard folk.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 11:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved