Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trunk Interior Finish for 1940
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Help! What's in your trunk? If you have a 1940, what, if any, covering is on the metal? If you have a convertible, what's on the wood top box? Painted only?

What's on the floor? Rubber? Carpet?

I've seen some pictures in magazines but all seem different. Looking for what might be original.

Thanks much.

I have a vague recollection of scraping something off the interior of the trunk that was flaky. Was it fabric or paper? Some kind of flocking?

Because it was a convertible, the wood box had something like that on it and I think it was painted that taupe color used on steering column etc in 1940, (but we're talking about a 50-year memory).

I subsequently sprayed some undercoating-like stuff on it.

Finally, this year, after all the rusted metal was removed and replaced, and new supports welded in, I painted it with high solids inhibitive metal primer, the thick black stuff.

Now I need to know what goes on the metal, the floor (rubber or carpet...I would guess rubber), and the wood box. It seems like every car I look at has its own subjective answer.

Is there a Packard reference I could check for this for 1940? A judging manual?

Reposting a couple of photos from The Duchess Project and one courtesy of hymanltd.com at the luxury end of the better than original spectrum.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.13 KB)
1067_4de8f5857a7aa.jpg 640X480 px

gif  (351.06 KB)
1067_4de8f5b481a9a.gif 800X600 px

jpg  (69.93 KB)
1067_4de8f5d0a6f1f.jpg 824X531 px

jpg  (21.00 KB)
1067_4de8f5e2e8b3b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/6/3 9:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Trunk Interior Finish for 1940
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Help! What's in your trunk? If you have a 1940, what, if any, covering is on the metal? If you have a convertible, what's on the wood top box? Painted only?

What's on the floor? Rubber? Carpet?

I've seen some pictures in magazines but all seem different. Looking for what might be original.

Thanks much.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 9:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I grew up with an original 39-120 Convertible Sedan. For what its worth, and I have not consulted the parts book, my recollection was a rubber mat on the floor of the trunk. Since our car did not have sidemounts, the plywood shelf was painted black and the insides of the trunk were otherwise simply painted or very lightly undercoated. I recall the wooden top well covered with that very thin vinyl-like fabric, peeling off of course.
Since then, most trunks I have seen, like the Hyman pictures, have been restored to a higher standard.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Joe
I am so sorry. I was assuming you wanted to only hear from those who had 160s or, more specificly, convertible sedans. There could be a difference, and that's why I didn't take these sooner for you. Anyway, as you know, my car is original, but it's a 180 sedan. No rubber mats, but there is a pebblie-grained "liner" under the carpet on the floor. The carpet seems to be glued down to it. I didn't try to pry it up too much, as it seemed to be stuck.

The carpet reminds me of the material found in the back package area of a 1962 VW Beetle. A very "itchy" material that is not comfortable to have against your skin when you're 5 years old.

I hope this is of some help.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.59 KB)
404_4defbd7d438cb.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (132.78 KB)
404_4defbd8c0d661.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (193.68 KB)
404_4defbda17a1c1.jpg 1600X1066 px

jpg  (105.50 KB)
404_4defbdadd010a.jpg 1600X1066 px

Posted on: 2011/6/8 13:22
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
West, is the material "Hogs Hair"? It was used as a carpet material in those days. I could see it being used in the trunk floor too. It is bristly stuff.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/8 13:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I don't know what it's called, but you could clean cast-iron pans with it if you added some water and Ajax.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 14:30
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks for photos.
Dave C PM'd:
"The floor is covered with a dark brown "leatherette" - identical (I believe) to the firewall panel material under the dash. The side walls of the trunk (inner fenders) on my 120 were flocked with a tan/brown flocked material. On my current 120 (an original car when I got it) the plywood spare tire shelf is covered with a tan burlap material, which is (as I remember) what was used for the side walls of the trunk of the 160 and 180. (Not flocked.) It's almost a "hounds tooth" brown/tan fabric with a very big weave. I have seen this same material in other trunks of the era.

and

The trunk floor material is very stiff - backed with a cardboard material. Yes, identical to the firewall. Like a "flat" leatherette. A very dull pebbled vinyl might be spray-glued to a piece of masonite or thick cardboard and then bound around the edges like carpet. (The gloss of the vinyl might also be cut with a liberal wipe of acetone over the surface.) "

Me, again... So I think the floor is like the firewall material..photo attached of my original one, so I will look for that. If the fabric/material Dave is describing for lining the sides of the trunk is "hog's hair," then I will use that. But gee it looks thick as carpeting, West, and I don't remember pulling out anything that substantial. Pictures very helpful in resolving this. Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.49 KB)
1067_4defceb435f81.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2011/6/8 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
And, flackmaster, I think you're right about the wood well for the conv top having some kind of fabric on it, guessing, maybe like bow drill.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Joe
Yes, it's definitely carpeting on my car, and is the same material in the trunks of the 1941 and 1942 models that we have. I guess if Jim W's car still had material, he would have already chimed in. It would be good to know what a 160 is supposed to have, versus a 120.
I just realized that there's a restored 1940 One Sixty convertible coupe in the Packard Museum downtown. I'll try to get over there tomorrow and take a look, but I can't promise I'll be able to leave the office. They also have an all-original 1937 120 convertible sedan. I'll look in its trunk as well. Perhaps I'll even remember to take my camera.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:19
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
That would be great, West. Would you say the thickness of the carpet is closer to 3/16th or more like 3/8th inch?

There wasn't anything left in Jim's trunk. So we have two cars that could use the solution.

I just returned from Canyon Auto. They finished painting the body. The fellow from the German auto repair next door loved the color and called her a sexy lady. Just wait til she fixes up her hair.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.03 KB)
1067_4defe9d17dc31.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/8 16:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved