Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 247

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Aluminium bodies
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Hi to all.
I have a question regarding Packards and aluminium bodies.
My 1926 333 Limo has such a body.It is right hand drive so I presume it was made for Australian customers. The only steel sections are the scuttle, bonnet and fenders and running boards.
Were aluminium bodies made by a particular coach builder or were they a made by special request?
Does anyone else have an aluminium bodied Packard?

Posted on: 2011/6/4 6:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Aluminium bodies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hi Phil, welcome to PackardInfo.com.

I remember that your fellow-countryman Mal was talking about --> Holbrook-bodies, made of aluminium.

--> This way please to the mentioned thread. A couple of months ago I have seen a pic on PackardInfo.com with at least two aluminium bodied Packards standing side by side on display in a museum or collection but don't know where to find.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 6:51
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Phil,
Normally I'd say to PackardInfo but having your '26 333 6 cyl Sedan Limosine already in the Register almost negates that. In regard to your question I can't help, the closest I can come is having seen a number of Packards on eBay with aluminium bodies, so I'll leave further comment to the more knowledgeable. I can however lend you a copy of "The Coachbuilt Packard" by Hugo Pfau if need be.

Gerd,

In your absence last month, after he flew up from Tasmania, I drove Phil up to see his Packard which is currently in a restoration workshop north of Sydney, see pic below.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.21 KB)
226_4dea24b55ae02.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2011/6/4 7:37
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Phil, our member Alvin14 from Southern New Jersey owns a Packard with --> aluminium body made by --> Derham.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: Dave (Owen_Dyneto)]

Posted on: 2011/6/4 7:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, on second sight, living in Australia and driving a Packard but not knowing you would mean to live in another Australia.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.01 KB)
757_4dea2ac285f46.jpg 480X325 px

Posted on: 2011/6/4 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Here in the U.S., aluminum was the metal of choice for most of the custom coachbuilder in the Classic Era prior to WWII.
It was a rarer material then, easier to form for one-off and small run bodies. Because it was lighter and less common, considered a somewhat more sophisticated choice for expensive custom coachwork.

Steve

Posted on: 2011/6/4 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Steve, your knowledge about prewar bodies is beyond any doubt. Please understand the following question as display of interest instead of disbelief.

Quote:
...Here in the U.S., aluminum was the metal of choice for most of the custom coachbuilder in the Classic Era prior to WWII...

Is that statement also true for all-aluminium bodies or is the talk of single elements like hoods, fenders, window frames and cowl panels (often polished to achieve a special effect) but less often partial bodies and as distinct from composite aluminum and wood full body constructions (lightweights) ? la Brunn and far away from cast aluminium bodies ? la Pierce Arrow? To give two examples of leading prewar coachbuilders I don't remember seeing all aluminium bodies from Dietrich and Rollson.

As a side note I would like to mention that Kirchhoff worked with duralumin.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Custom made bodies were usually made of aluminum because it is easier to work with and form into shape. The additional cost was a small matter compared to the cost of the body.

Production bodies were stamped out on big presses and were made of steel.

The construction of your car is typical of a coachbuilt or special order car. The chassis was furnished by Packard with the fenders, running boards, cowl and hood. The rest of the body was made by hand.

Luxury car makers offered a catalog of custom body cars with bodies made by their favorite coachbuilders. Or the customer could order a chassis, have it delivered to his choice of coachbuilder and have a body made to his specifications.

In your case the body may have been made by an Australian coachbuilder. Are there any markings or maker's ID plate on the body?

If you show some pictures the real gone Packard experts should be able to identify it and tell you if it is a standard body, custom body, or something unique that did not come from the Packard factory.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 17:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
Here are a couple of shots of the restored body work.
Thanks to Mal for supplying them.
The rear section was removed years ago to make the car into a ute or pickup. The body shape was generated by referring to diagrams in Hugo Pfau's "The coach built Packard". Byron York sent some very good photos of window and door sizes and body shape. We are very pleased with the quality of the repairs.
There was no coach builders plate on the remaining part of the body. It seems as if it was a coach built model or a special order.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.43 KB)
1675_4deb28f560a12.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/6/5 1:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved