Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

HavredegraceJoe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1928/1929 Paint schemes and roof color 526/626
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
A little brain teaser here..

I have two 526/s coupe and sedan
Looking at color schemes for 1928 and 1929. 126 inch w/b
For those who have either series, the material for the roof it is a type of rubberized material usually seen as black and streched and tacked onto the upper side rails

I say normally black becaue the upper body is black but in both Salesmans Fact books for the following paint schemes for 1928/1929 say the roof color is the same as the upper body color . However in standard paint schemes 1928 and 1929 where the upper body is.EA(Highland Green)KB (Copra Drab)N,(Killarney Gray) it says the roof is one of the above colors. Evidently to match the upper body color.

1) Did they paint that rubberized material in the colors above or order it from some vendor. Surely they wouldnt have used a nitro lacquer because of the flex and cracking with time.

attached is a factory photo of a 626 from our archives. Even though it is a black and white photo, you cant tell it matches the upper body color by the shading.

Your thoughts..

Attach file:

jpg  (52.38 KB)
623_4deaaaa0dff6c.jpg 750X592 px

Posted on: 2011/6/4 16:59
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928/1929 Paint schemes and roof color 526/626
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
1930 and 1931 bodies don't have that issue as metal covered the wood side rails...but still had the rubberized black fabric in the center.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 17:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
My guess would be they got colored rubber material from their supplier. This must have cost extra and made a headache for the factory, in having several types of material on hand. Not practical for a cheap mass produced car but possible for one of Packard quality if they wanted to take the trouble,

Posted on: 2011/6/4 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
for the 533/633 they had the same colors(two tone) in addiition for the 533 they indicate another paint scheme M(Moleskin Deep) for the upper body with roof also being the same color. and on the 633 for 1929 and additional scheme of MA(Valentines Gymnite Green)

Did you know that Valentine Paint company is still in business...However today you may know it as Valspar. House paint as sold through Lowes etc. In the 1920's they supplied automotive paint. known as Nitro-Valspar.(Val for Valentine Paint + spar for paint thus Valspar. Some more useless info for Jeoprody ahahahah

Posted on: 2011/6/4 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
My 1928 parts book indicate that the top material mfgr is Duratex. they were out of newark nj and suppliers of coated fabrics to the auto trade.

Posted on: 2011/6/4 18:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Frank Hopkins
See User information
This is a bit confusing. According to the paint chips available on this site, there were a number of other colors available in 1929, and I confirmed through another site that the 626 (that I am working on, body style 333) was available in Rubicelle Deep which is a deep maroon. Based on the paint chips shown onhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/mod ... /view.article.php?c16/429 the color consists of 1 quart Proxlin BASIC TINTING MAROON, Add a touch of BASIC TINTING ULTRAMARINE BLUE and a touch of BASIC TINTING VERMILION.

As an engineer, adding a touch of this and a touch of that is difficult to accept. Worse, it is my understanding that even within the automakers of the time, consistancy of the color temperature of a paint could vary significantly from batch to batch and even from can to can within a batch.

Also, I've read that Packard was willing to paint any car any color using any Base color in ther inventory. This would imply that a car could be ordered using any one of the three colors in that comprize Rubicelle Deep.

Currently I'm planning to go with a deep maroon R,G,B, 145,0,0 and unless someone tells me that I'm making a serious mistake, I'll stick with this, over a black primer.

But based on the discussion above, I could feasibly use the same maroon on the roof, which until now I hadn't even considered.

Please reply with your comments and observations. I've been struggling with this for months.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 0:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I've been struggling with this for months.

Frank, welcome to PackardInfo.com!
The above mentioned link seems to be one of the obstacles in your way. Allow me to clear --> the way. I'll keep my fingers crossed that our color experts will not maroon you.

Edit: oops, wrong pic deleted

Posted on: 2011/10/25 1:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Frank,
Like Gerd I'd like to you to PackardInfo. Unfortunately can't help with your paint questions but I'm sure there will be those who can. And I invite you to include your '29 626 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Don't know what's going on Gerd but that ain't no Packard in the pic!

And neither of the links Frank or Gerd provided work for me.

Posted on: 2011/10/25 2:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi all, I am not sure that Packard 526 or 533 used other than an "island top' insert. My 533 was purchased by me in 1974 and was an island top car. I repainted it myself in 1979 to a Sixth Series Brochure colour and although it has been "panned by critics", it looks fine. i would go with the paint chips and see what expertise this thread extracts from the more knowledgable amongst us. Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (59.52 KB)
154_4ea692a4acd06.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/10/25 5:42
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mal, the link works for me but nevertheless please try this --> alternative way to the general overview of available paint chips.

Quote:
...Don't know what's going on Gerd but that ain't no Packard in the pic!...

Thanks, the pic presumably showed a Ford A - I deleted it and offer a probably more agreeable example.

[picture source: carlmadsen.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (16.26 KB)
757_4ea6a48fc1b4c.jpg 500X226 px

Posted on: 2011/10/25 6:21
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved